Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anti-piracy system could damage loudspeakers!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti-piracy system could damage loudspeakers!

CD pirates beware - the music industry has a new weapon up its sleeve. It is called the Cactus Data Shield, and it is designed to add noisy garbage to all copied CDs. The trouble is, it could also damage the hi-fi and loudspeakers of people who play pirated CDs.
    more details here!

just makes a stronger case for morpheus and the like

Comment

http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/54/20809.html What if I would like to make a copy of the disk( for use in the car etc.)?

<Well lucky for me that I hacked(or should I say cracked) mp3.com a few weeks ago so I can at least d/load everything thats available there!>
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Well, you don't... you just have to buy two of each disc... :/
        Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

I think the intent to harm speakers or other equipment would make this scheme subject to class action and other lawsuits. The rich hollywood and record company motherfvckers just push and push, don't they? Wouldn't want them to lose all that cash they earned by ripping off naive recording artists, now would we? These guys are almost as bad as big tobacco.

Comment

I think the intent to harm speakers or other equipment would make this scheme subject to class action and other lawsuits.
            I was thinking the same thing. You are suppose to be allowed to copy for your own personal use.

Joel
            Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
            Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

Yup this sux, but not to worry within a month of it getting released there will be a way to defeat it via chipping your player or a software based solution...
              My heatware
              Click here to email me

Comment

That's not really an acceptable solution. They're infringing on MY rights. I should be able to buy a CD, keep burned copies in the car (so there's no risk of heat damage to the original) and not have to worry about blowing out my sound system.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Simple solution, the record company add into all the small print inside a CD case:

This CD may not be duplicated, not even for personal use

There ya go, all done and dusted.
                  It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
                  Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

That argument won't work. First, I'd have to buy and open the CD to get to that warning. Actually, that's more of a license after the fact. If I didn't agree with it, I'd have to be allowed to return the CD. I have yet to find a place that will refund an opened CD.

Also, this would violate my right of fair use. They can't do that without me agreeing to it.

And beyond all this, these new discs DON'T conform to the compact disk standard (that little insignia that drives and CD's have on them). I'm waiting to see what they won't play on.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Thoughts:

1. The previous poster is correct - this constitutes a violation of your right to make an archival or personal copy of the music.

2. This can already be beated by CloneCD. It's just a music-based variant on the common anti-piracy techniques for data CD's.

3. This has been used for a while now in Japan. AFAIK, there is a very low incidence of incompatibility with CD players. But not a zero incidence, bringing forth the possibility of lawsuits.

4. Let's say I didn't know this was being used (and they won't say which discs have it, so I'm guessing people have those discs and it DOESN'T say anywhere on it that it's protected) and I made a copy. Then that copy sounds crappy and blows out my speakers and/or eardrums at a high volume... they are SO liable.

- Gurm
                      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                      If only life were as easy as you
                      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                      I would still get screwed

Comment

Uhum... so what ?

Just record the music into wav files and then burn that into a new CD. Just a little more trouble.

Thor !
                        Thor !
                        www.clubinfo.bdeb.qc.ca

Comment

Thor,

Are you missing the point here? If we wanted to do a D->A conversion we wouldn't be talking about ripping CD's, now would we? Duh.

- Gurm
                          The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                          I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                          I would still get screwed

Comment

Working...
                          X