HDD Temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HDD Temperature

anyone using this piece of software & is it any good?

I'd like to know how it works. As far as I know, there isn't a protocol for this. There's a number of ways to take guesses at the HD temp, but I can't think of how they'd get a reading without an additional external probe.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I believe monitoring the overall temp of a HD is completely worthless. You must be able to monitor several areas of a HD (motor, preamp, servo amp etc) to determine whether it's at risk.

Just another freaky tool for those geeky wannabe kids out there
      "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Hey Mike - this is a piece of software that asks the drive what temp it's running at. I didn't realise all drives could do this nowadays. The only ones I've seen in the past are SCSI IBM Server drives - IBM do a little tool which tells you the temp of the drive. But, as you say, if the sensor is in the drive, but nowhere near anything important, how is it really much use?

Still, if the drive tells you it's running at over what the manufacturer's specs say it can run at, that's got to be a bad thing!

Comment

Working...
        X