Clear All

• DishNetwork or DirecTV?

I am thinking of getting a satellite setup instead of cable. Reasons are:

1. 480 lines vs. 330
    2. Dolby Digital
    3. Much better clarity
    4. More channels(sort of)
    5. HDTV(1080i)

Now that I go that out of the way. The above mentioned are the two choices for Satellite dishes in my area. Anybody have any experience with them? What are your opinions? Anybody have experience with dishes in general? Any info would be great

Thanks,

Dave
    Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Yes, but it's mostly limited to C Band satellite systems (the big dishes)... for the best C/Ku Band reciever on the market capable of HDTV reception check out 4DTV.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, if you want to choose between the Dish Network and DSS systems, there are not that many differences really. The satellites are positioned differently so you might want to go outside with a compass and check if you can get one and not the other due to trees or other obstacles (sorry, I only know the sat. directions for my area, but you might find that info online somewhere. Generally, check out the sky to the south. If it's open, you're probably ok.)

There are a few programming differences. One has two HD channels plus HD PPV and one only has one plus a PPV (though this might change anytime.) Dish is less expensive, and the dish itself is a bit better, IMO, but if you are into sports, DSS has the big sports packages (for lotsa money.) You can get every NFL game, for instance, for about $180 per season. Get a programming flyer for each and check it out. We do both where I work, and the choice is usually made pretty much on the basis of programming. If you get DSS though, go with the Sony unless you've got a Mitsubishi HD compatible TV as well, then I'd get the Mitsubishi sat receiver, since it includes the HDTV tuner and is a bit easier to set up as a system.

Comment

I've always enjoyed my BUD (Big Ugly Dish) and still rejoice in the day that I told the cable company to stick it (over 10 years now ). There are several options when it comes to HDTV -- OTA (HiPix PCI card), BUD (4DTV w/ HDD-200), and the little dishes ... of course you need a HDTV display (mucho moola!). The little dishes have their advantages (small size and location requirements, massive market, etc.) but their not quite as high quality as BUD (BUD HDTV delivers first generation digital stream of the full ATSC format while little dishes have slightly reduced line count) ... also, programming is cheaper on BUD. I read something about DirectTV DSL in my area (South Bay) but haven't found any more on it. You might want to check into this DSL as it may sway your decision. The writer was very excited about the Sat DSL availability even though he was very happy with his 384 SDSL line.
        Last edited by xortam; 3 August 2001, 08:26.
        <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Greebe, thanks for the info. That site is very intriguing and pretty much had me sold except for three things: can you get local channels? and the dish is too big, and the initial cost is more than I have. It definitely sounds like the way to go for quality, unfortunately the other things put it at the bottom of the list.

KvHagedorn, the way I understand it, the dishnetwork satellties are seperated to the point where you would need two satellites to receive HDTV signals properly, whereas the directv satellites are closer together so all you need is the dual LNB's and the 24" dish. As far as receiver and dish are concerned, My choices at the moment would be Toshiba or Sony. Personally, I don't like Sony products so that basically gave me my choice. I hear the RCA DTC-100 receiver is the best and the cheapest but my brother-in-law works at the local video store and can get me a discount hence the choice beween Toshiba and Sony. Does anyone have experience with the Toshiba DTS-3000?

xortam, yeah, the 4DTV setup sounds nice but money and space are a concern.

I've pretty much made my decision to get DirecTV unless someone can convince me otherwise. The only other critical choice I need to make is do I get the HDTV receiver and pay the extra ~400 or do I just stick with the DD receiver for now and see how things turn out? Oh, and yes, I do have an HDTV ready TV.

Dave
          Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

You may want to hold off on HDTV equipment to get the *new* HDTV setup. The industry just agreed on using DVI/HDCP for interconnecting decoders and displays. Your brand new HDTV compatible TV isn't compatible any more . Not sure what will be done about all the pioneers who already invested in equipment. I have to do some more reading on this but the interconnect/copy protection issues were one of the major reasons that I've held off on buying a new TV.
            <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Dave here's another link that popped into me brain... http://www.satellitetvweek.com/

If I only lived closer... could install this over a weekend with your help of course
              I know peeps in the industry and can get this stuff for less than retail (but not totally sure if that would be wholesale (could ask))
              tThe markup on this stuff is huge, so if what you couldn't afford retail, I most likely can get for close to half that... making it affordable.

Also agree with Xortam... there is a big ruckus in the industry right now over standards... holding off would be in your best interest
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

KvHagedorn, the way I understand it, the dishnetwork satellties are seperated to the point where you would need two satellites to receive HDTV signals properly, whereas the directv satellites are closer together so all you need is the dual LNB's and the 24" dish.

Yes, that's true. Also, being as you are in California, the satellite you would need to point to would be a stretch.. it's parked over the Atlantic.

Reconsider the Mitsubishi. The problems Xortam brought up about compatibility are not going to affect Mitsubishi set owners. They got a guarantee of compatibility when they bought their sets. Mitsubishi has already put out adapter boxes to make their old HD compatible TV sets work with newer standards. If you have a Mits HD compatible TV, the HDTV tuner/sat receiver from them is a snap to install too. (This is Direct TV) There are actually THREE Satellites you need to acquire simultaneously with the parabolic DTV dish, though! That's one reason Dish Network has to use two dishes. They don't have three that are close enough together, I suppose.

Comment

Originally posted by KvHagedorn
                  ... Reconsider the Mitsubishi. The problems Xortam brought up about compatibility are not going to affect Mitsubishi set owners. They got a guarantee of compatibility when they bought their sets. ...
                  Just be ready to shell out another grand for the module ... at least Mits guarantees support ... and has great products. Its not clear to what degree Mits will support the new STBs. It seems they'll stick with IEEE-1394 and incorporate 5C support. Apparently they won't provide DVI but that probably won't be a problem if the new STBs include both IEEE-1394/5C and DVI/HDCP interfaces, as expected. The AVS HDTV forums are having a lot of good discussions on the issues surrounding the new interface.

Comment

I don't know anything about HDTV, but my family has had DirecTV for over two years now. No major problems so far, but also nothing for me to say DirecTV is the best. We have one of the standard packages since we don't need all the premium stuff and it's pretty good, they have added a few channels over the past couple years too. We got the NBA package two seasons ago and everything went fine. I guess my only complaint would be some minor annoyances with their software.

Wish there was a way to trade in the shopping channels for something else...
                    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

Working...
                    X