PIC video overlay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PIC video overlay

how can I tweak a PIC video compressed clip so that it can be displayed using the DVD max feature of G400?

same question for the software DV and MPEG2 codecs coming from Matrox - let's say bundled with the RT2000.

thx, bogie

Pic Video clips do play back using DVD Max on G400 (Marvel).

A lot depends on what you use to play. Media Player is okay as is MSP6.0. However AVI_IO won't :-(((

Comment

I'm using normally MS MP and it works ok with clips compressed with the MJPEG codec from Main Actor (demo version, excellent speed and quality, but annoying banner with their URL).

When it comes to PIC, no video output at all!

bogie

Comment

Don't know about the G400, but for anyone interested - PICVIDEO plays just fine on a G450eTV out the TV port.

I am guessing that you can convert it to a MPG2 file and play it then - I have tried this and the quality is good, but not as good as the original AND approximately 1/8 the size of file. I have 9 gigs of highest quality PICVIDEO compressed down to 576 megs in MPG2 format.
        Premiere PRO XP Pro
        Asus P4s533
        P4-2.8
        Matrox G450
        RT.x100
        45 GIG System Drive
        120 Export Drive
        Promise Fastrak 100(4x80 Maxtor)
        Turtle Beach Santa Cruz

Toshiba Laptop
        17" P4-3 HT
        1024 RAM
        32 MEG GForce
        60 GIG 7200RPM HD
        80 GIG EXT HD (USB 2/Firewire)
        DVD RW/RAM

Comment

Hi

Picvideo should play back, is just about interchangeable with the Matrox codec in my experience.

You might want to try AVI.exe to change the header to Matrox, and you can also try divXG400 if your frame sizes aren't at one of the matrox standards (i.e. 352 x 240, 704 x 480 etc...) -- that can make it not play on the TV monitor.

As a last resort, I have used the dualhead zoom feature when nothing else would work -- zoom into a rectangle over your video window.

mikie

Comment

thx everybody for the feedback!

I just found out that the problem was caused by the capture resolution (720X576). Switching to 768X576, which is the default value for the capture driver(BroktreeBT878), led to normal TV out display, so I have to stick to this resolution.

Unpleasant situation, as I was very happy with VirtuaDub ability to change the capture format within a long list, tailored to almost any needs.

bogie

Comment

Can You try capture 704x576 and try whether it works?

Comment

I'll try this, of course, but I would prefere 720X576 for several reasons:

-this is the PAL standard resolution for MPEG2, DV, DVCPRO, DVCAM, DVD formats
                -the excellent quality DV&MPEG2 Matrox software codecs are available only for this resolution
                -mixing clips with different resolution in any editing program will give an overall lower quality and speed(scaling is a difficult task)

bogie

Comment

It was not a suggestion but a request for a test

Comment

prr, it works!

bogie

Comment

OK, then You are most likely dealing with the 32pix problem of the card/codec.
                      Try using DivXG400, like mikiem suggested. It should do the job.

Comment

thx again prr (rene, I guess...)

is just great to have the answers right from the source.

Any workaround for the Matrox codecs?

regards, bogie

Comment

thx again prr (rene, I guess...)

Correct

Any workaround for the Matrox codecs

Don't know, don't use them...
                          DivXG400 should provide workaround for all codecs suffering 32pix problem.
                          To find out whether You are dealing with 32pix problem, just run clips with widths 704 and 720 (or similar).

Comment

Working...
                          X