Soundcards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soundcards

OK folks a little soundcard advice needed, need a new one what should I get? Needs to have good solid Windows 2000 performance, Linux support would be an advantage. Will be used probably to team up alongside my RT2000. Needs to be reasonably priced.

How about the Video Logic Sonic Fury, specs here , around £ 50.00 for the OEM version.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

What do want it to do? The PCI128 seems pretty reliable to me, and very cheap.

Comment

Just to throw some cluster bombs into the discussion. I have found the SB PCI128 to be the most unreliable and bitching soundcard i ever owned. If i have to give an advice go for a Terratec... my old ISA Maestro16/96 that replaced the PCI128 has more often driver updates and works more reliably than the SB crap. No offence. AZ pointed out sometime ago some more merits of Terratec cards but i forgot how the thread was coined.

Regards

EDIT: That means the SB PCI128 replaced the Maestro and was then replaced by the Maestro after some month of problems.

Comment

PCI 128's can't be that bad... mines been through 3 Mobo's without a problem.. then again.. I have the pre-Live caliber 128 it doesn't suffer the same problems... Although i do agree on the lack of driver updates.. i am tempted to learn how to program my own because I could probably finish it before the next update comes out
          AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
          AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
          Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
          Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

The only problem I've ever had with a PCI 128 was it's incompatiblity with the Abit KA7 motherboard. That can usually be fixed by enabling the 15-16m memory hole.

amish
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Via 133A seems to have a problem with creative cards and there doesn't seem to one fix that cures all. If you're planning on sticking it in a Via crudset you'd be better with a santa cruz card.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Working...
              X