Stupid file association question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid file association question...

I know this is a stupid question, but can someone please tell me ALL the settings I need to re-associate .bmps with mspaint.exe in Win98SE? I can't get it to work properly since Quicktime associated itself with them.

Thanks

Tony.
    FT.

No idea offhand, but try ACDSee for browsing your piccies instead - its quick and easy to use.

Then you could just add a shortcut to MSPaint in your 'Send to' folder when you need to edit them.
    Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

My Computer > view > folder options > File types and then you'll have to edit some of the quick time assoications.

Now I've got a question how do change the associations when the program thats hogged the files to itself isn't shown in the file types without having hack the registry?
      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Hi TP
        I got that far. I think the problem is with the DDE settings. I was hoping someone could look at theirs for MSPaint and let me know.

As to your question, the list seems to show a description of the file type, so I looked in the wrong place for a long time. .BMPs and .DIBs are shown as 'Windows BMP Image' for example. If you can't find it, perhaps you could create an association from scratch.

Cheers

Tony.
        FT.

Comment

The way i do it.

Click on the file to select it, press shift and right click. Select open with, from the menu select ms paint and click the always use this program to open these files box.

That should be it
          1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
          Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
          Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

cant you just (hold shift) and right click on a bitmap, go to "open with" then select MSPAINT....that will re-assosciate .bmp with paint 8D

-pickle

Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Thanks guys - that did it. I should have remembered!

What I was doing wrong in the long-hand version was not using the old 8.3 filename convention for the path!

Cheers

Tony.
              FT.

Comment

Working...
              X