Anti Virus software

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anti Virus software

Aparently my year of free virus updates for Norton is running out in 19 days and Inoculate stopped their free version, so I need a new Anti Virust program. Since I'm a savy user the chance of me getting infected is lower then most (don't open attachments, download warez, etc), I don't think I really need to go buy one, but always good to keep an up to date virus checker none-the-less. Also my parents, who used Inoculate, need to get a new one too. Well, enough blathering, what are some good free/low-cost virus scanners?

Thanks
    Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
    Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

well my year's subscription from norton only costed about £3!

Comment

i'm still using InnoculteIT and they still give out regular (ie daily) updates. They said that they will give out updates forever but new users would have to buy the newer software.

If you still have a copy of the original exe file to install it then you should be able to download all the updates for nothing.
      1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
      Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
      Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

Go to www.grisoft.com They have a free unlimited use single user version and offer free updates.

Joel
        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

TnT,

If you uninstall and then reinstall the program,
          you get to start over.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom

If you uninstall and then reinstall the program,
            you get to start over.
            hmm, sounds like a good idea if it's true!

Comment

It is true. I know for a fact this works.

Rags

Comment

ditto to Rag's statement

-pickle
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

All right I guess I'll just reinstall then Hmm... actually I think it has said my subscription was going to end before...

Also I guess I'll just keep downloading InoculateIT updates for my parents.

Maybe the new Norton 2002 that relies more on heuristic type stuff will be worth buying. The preview I read over at TechTV makes it sound like a ZoneAlarm for viruses.
                  Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
                  Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I do NOT recommend Mcafee.
                    Just look at their www.mcafee.com for downloading updates.
                    You paid good money for their software but still had to endure their "PARTNER PROGRAM" advertisements which pop out all over the site.
                    In fact i helped my company get rid of mcafee when the subscription period ended.

Regards.
                    Primary desktop:
                    Dell Dimension 4100|P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|ATI Firegl 8700 64MB|SBLIVE|3Com 3C905c|Adaptec 2906|Quantum 40G|FUJITSU 1.3G MO|Iomega 16x10x40x|MGE 480VA UPS|Philips 200P3M|XPPro
                    Secondary desktop:
                    Generic P3-733Mhz|512MB Crucial PC133 CL3|Matrox G400 32MB DH|SigmaTel audio(build-in)|2 x 3Com 3C9980B|Adaptec 2940UW|Quantum 15G|MGE 500VA UPS|Sony G500|W2K

Comment

It's true if you re-install Nortons you do start over I've done that several times.
                      Mcafee is shit they don't check that there updates work with there older engines. So to be safe you have to download the engine update as well as the virus update. Mcafee is also slow and also slows your computer down if you're not careful about the options you set.
                      We use Mcafee at work at the one of most causes of faults to our helpdesk one it's famous tricks is trashing Windows altogether. If you're lucky you can get in under safe mode and uninstall the junk. If not and deleting the mcafee directory doesn't work it's re-install time.
                      Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Here's another vote AGAINST mcafee's crapware.

Norton is the way to go w/o a doubt. (Ever since they merged with IBM Anti-Virus they've been the leader, IMHO)

Comment

Originally posted by The PIT
                          We use Mcafee at work at the one of most causes of faults to our helpdesk one it's famous tricks is trashing Windows altogether. If you're lucky you can get in under safe mode and uninstall the junk.
                          I've just had this problem with my install of McCrapee's, I thought I just had a bad virus update. Fortunately I could get in under Safe mode and uninstall it, and re-installing and patching to the previous definition seems okay.
                          I wouldnt use McCrapee at all except I blagged a free copy from work, and some AV protection is better than none.
                          I was a big fan of Dr Solomons when it was still around.
                          Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Want to know WHY McCrappee sucks?

Because they were forced to hurriedly rewrite their virus engine after a court ordered them to stop stealing code from Norton. HA!

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            If only life were as easy as you
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

Anyone else use Trend PC-cillin? I run the '98 OEM version that came with my mobo and it seems to do just fine.

Comment

Working...
                              X