Norton Ghost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norton Ghost

Nice little program but it's got a few quirks.

System one

win9se (ide one) Fat32
    win2k (ide two) NTFS
    backup drive in caddie (ide three) FAT32
    lunix partition (ide four)

Now ghosting win88 no problems win2k ghost gets in ahuff and says it's dump already in progress to drive D.

Okay doke I can see what happened here as it the drive lettering however on system two

win2k (ide one) ntfs
    empty drive at present (ide two)
    backup drive in caddie (ide three)

It quite happily backs up drive C to drive C.

Swapping the drives around on system one allowed to make an image but surely it should have failed on the second system or is this something that Norton have missed about drive lettering.
    Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
    Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

uh...what version of Ghost are you using?

What are you trying to do to your systems with Ghost?

Some rules of Ghost:

1) Don't run Ghost in Windows NT/2000/XP. The NT based OS's do not like ghosting while in the OS. Create a Ghost boot disk or run Ghost from a Win9x OS to Ghost NT based OS's.

2) When Ghosting an NT based OS with NTFS, always do a proper shutdown of the OS before Ghosting. If the NTFS partition is not properly mounted, Ghost will give you all sorts of errors and troubles.

3) For fast, accurate results, Ghost between hard drives on seperate IDE chains. If you have 2 drives in one computer, set the Win9x disk as master on the primary chain and the other drive as secondary master. If you plan on keeping the drive there you will need to modify the Boot.ini to reflect the changes. If you need help doing it I can tell you how.

4) If you Ghost inside of Win9x, make sure nothing else is running but Systray and Explorer. ALL other programs should be shutdown.

Rules from experience.

Jammrock
    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Norton Ghost 2001.

Backing up the partitions of ide1 and ide2 and another computer by swapping the caddie over.

1) Already booting from ghost boot disk.

2) Doesn't apply.

3) I can put win2k on the secondary Ide and it will still remain as D and you don't need to alter the boot.ini. However since I've moved the backup drive to slave to the linux drive that now in effect becomes drive E so the dump can proceed. Note that the source drives are on a seperate channel and thats what causing the problem.

4) Nope ghosting from boot disk.

It just interesting that Ghost will do a image happily from drive C to drive C but not "in effect" from D to D.
      Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

You can back up C: to C:? Everytime I have tried that Ghost gives me errors and tells me I can't do it. I would suggest backing up C: to D: and vice versa. You'll get better transfer rates and have less of a chance of screwing something up. After all, IDE doesn't support simultaneous read/writes on the same chain.

BTW, Ghost Enterprise Edition 7.0 is out It's got some fun new features.

Jammrock

Comment

Thats what I was confused about. It's let me do C to C which is rather confusing but not D to D. In both cases the source drives are ntfs which dos doesn't understand therefore it's invisable and the new host drive becomes drive C in effect. Norton must have worked on this because it's going to be a common problem but they haven't thought about the drive D situ.
          Isn't there a way under dos that you assign a drive letter to a drive??
          Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

In Ghost Enterprise 6.5 and beyond you cannot Ghost from C: to C:...must be a bug in your version.

Jammrock

Comment

Working...
            X