Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

$600 for a Samsung 17" tft monitor, worth the price?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $600 for a Samsung 17" tft monitor, worth the price?

Howdy all. Looks like I can get a Samsung 770 tft lcd monitor for $600. Any of you used this monitor, is it worth picking up? I need a new monitor anyway, my current 17 is on it's way down, and the 770 is like $800+, so at this point I'm thinking what the hell. My other option is to go with a 19" or 21" low-med quality crt.

If your planning on any gaming then that tft won't do... it's persistence is all to long in duration and will cause ghosting of the image movements.

My other option is to go with a 19" or 21" low-med quality crt.
    What you say?! :\

For that kind of money you can pick up a very good quality 19-21" (Cornerstone perhaps? that'll run circles around the tft in terms of useability and resolution.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

If both your TFT display and video card have DVI input & output they will be fine for gaming.

The DVI connection increases the response time of the pixels.
      I've done some serious testing with this as I too am looking to replace my 17" display with a 17.4" - 18" TFT.
      After using both a Samsung & Iiyama TFT display I know that the lack of DVI would cause me ghosting.
      Unfortunately DVI does come at a premium, so I shall just have to wait a little longer.
      It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
      Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

DVI or not, pixel persistance on TFT's is still there and can't be fixed via DVI connection

One of the few TFT capable of properly displaying 3D (motion) is the SGI SW1600 (think that's the M#) and it's ~$1200 for a whole 18"
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

For all who read this, Greebe has officially set me straight. My new monitor will be a Cornerstone, in all likelyhood the P1600. After shipping and warranty it ends up being less than $100 more, for quite a bit more product I'd say.

Comment

Is there some 'Praise Cornerstone' club we can all join?
            What are the benefits-in-kind? (yes I read Greebes adjulation of the service).
            FT.

Comment

I'm only posting from experience.
              I've only taken a machine running a GF2 Ultra with DVI output and attched to it:

Samsung 18" TFT with DVI
              Iiyama 17.4" TFT with DVI
              Iiyama 17" without DVI
              Iiyama 15" without DVI

I then ran the following applications:

Quake3
              3DMark2001
              Anarchy On-Line

I carefully watched for ghosting and any problems that might make a TFT panel useless for gaming.
              But hay, what do I know, I've only done some real world tests?
              It cost one penny to cross, or one hundred gold pieces if you had a billygoat.
              Trolls might not be quick thinkers but they don't forget in a hurry, either

Comment

...and how much is a DVI addon card (let alone possibly needing a different card altogether) in addition to a TFT monitor in relation to a CRT monitor of equivalent size??? Normally >2X the money with lower resolution capability.

Don't think I haven't tested either.

@Tony... You have the pride of owning a monitor that will be the evny of everyone whom sees it... let alone the satisfaction of seeing firsthand what we truely mean by Matrox quality.

How many times have I seen on these and other forums about peeps getting that other brand highend monitor with great anticipation, only to find it's geometry whacked or out of focus and or with poor convergence that's not user correctable and must be replaced. What a major PIA... only to find the replacement is still not upto par.
                Sadly that's happened all to many times.

With that said, how can I not help but suggest a manufacture that still takes pride in what they make? All others that own Cornerstone's have been bitten by the love bug

Comment

Is there some 'Praise Cornerstone' club we can all join?
                  Nope, no club. It's just that Cornerstone manufactures some of the best monitors that I have seen, and I have seen alot, for very reasonable prices.

I have their 1025c 21" monitor and only paid alittle over $650.00 USD for it and that included shipping and a 3 year advanced replacement warranty.

Joel
                  Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                  Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

I just recently purchased a Cornerstone p1460. It's the high end, professional 19" monitor. After shipping and what-not, it was $465 USD. With my Kyro II, which has very good 2D and 3D video quality, it looks very crisp.

The first time anyone sees it they stand there and gawk. Every single one of them loves the way it looks. One friend with a GeFart 2 GTS and a ViewSonic monitor constantly tells me how much he wishes his could look that good. Cornerstone is definately a MURC'er grade monitor

Greebe, maybe you should start a Cornerstone fan club...

Jammrock
                    “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                    –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

NO CLUB?!, darn.... how about a link for a lazy bumm early in his morning

-pickle
                      Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Go here. shop.monitorsdirect.com/

Joel
                        Libertarian is still the way to go if we truly want a real change.

www.lp.org

System Specs: AMD XP2000+ @1.68GHz(12.5x133), ASUS A7V133-C, 512MB PC133, Matrox Parhelia 128MB, SB Live! 5.1.
                        Monitor: Cornerstone c1025 @ 1280x960 @85Hz.

Comment

or...

The other one is the store. This is the corporate site.

Jammrock
                          “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                          –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                          X