Design my apartment!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Design my apartment!

Hey guys. I'm moving into a new place. I only have the one computer listed in my sig right now. I'm planning on getting broadband, and probably run it through a dedicated switch. I'd like to run some networking cable from my study into my bedroom and living room. Allow some access points in these other rooms to control a central music server that I will set up. I want to keep these tertiary machines cheap, simple and (especially in the bedroom) quiet.

Let your imaginations run (but without taking my wallet with them) !
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

assuming y ou want a music server to hold the music for the other machines to play then i would have the following:

A cheap motherboard with onboard video or an old PCI graphics board. Possibly would even risk a pc chips board.
    A duron 750 or cellery 733 (depends on the board really)
    128mb ram
    Any hard disk will do as long as its big enough
    A NIC
    a box to put it in.
    borrow your keyboard , mouse and CD rom drive for setting it up.

I would run Linux on it, probably mandrake 8, and control it through an SSH connection using Putty from a windows machine. You should be able to set up a shared directory on the box fairly easily for storing your music files. Once it's running you can remove the monitor, keyboard and mouse and hide it in a cupboard. If you must switch it off then you will need a wake on LAN capable NIC so you can restart it without getting it out of the cupboard.

I am planning on a similar setup myself soon so i will let you know how i get on

As for where to put your furniture, thats up to you but i would recommend not having the TV facing the window.
    1st system

Athlon AXIA Y 1Ghz @ 1.40Ghz, coolermaster hsf, Elite K7s6a, 512 MB Crucial DDR RAM, 20GB IBM 7200RPM Hard drive, Radeon 8500le 64mb, SB Audigy, 3 com 10/100NIC, 300w PSU, midi tower, FPS 1600 Surround, Belinea 17" monitor, Intellimouse explorer USB

System 2

Athlon TB 1.4 @ 1.5, Zalman Flower in silent mode, Elite K7S6A, 768MB DDRAM, Ati Radeon 8500le 64mb ddr, SB Audigy, 3Com 10/100NIC, 80GB IBM 7200rpm, Liteon 16 speed DVD, Lite-on 24102b CDRW, Songcheer Superwide, USB scanner, Intellimouse explorer, Microsoft keyboard, 19in iiyama Monitor, FPS1600

system 3
    Abit ST6 RAID, Celly 1.2 @1.4 ,512MB SDRAM, Zalman Flower HSF noisey mode, ATi Radeon 8500le, SBLIVE, 3com 10/100 NIC, 80GB Seagate barracude HDD, 40GB IBM120GXP, 60GB IBM60GXP,Extra highpoint controller card, 16x Pioneer DVD, Pioneer DVR-104 DVD-RW, ATX Full tower case. 300w psu, 17in LG monitor, 20in Samsumg telly, epson stylus colour 880, 200W RMS Surround sound amp with Mission M71 Speakers.

System 4
    Elite K7S5A, Duron 1.0, 128mb sdram, Coolermaster hsf, 80GB 120GXP IBM, Liteon 16x DVD, Radeon 7200 64MB DDR, SBLIVE.

Linksys 4 port router/firewall

512k Cable modem. nice

Comment

So, 20 people have looked at this, but nobody has any ideas? C'mon! It's shopping time!

No advice on switches, even?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

a Linksys router to handle broadband connection, as for setting up a music center from your PCs, i am planning to create a file server that will house my music and i can play anything from any room i have a PC in
        8D

remember WinAmp will run on a low end PC
        =D

a simple setup no?

-pickle
        Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Well, Iif I'm going to have computers in the bedroom, I'm trying to go with something quiet. Either a fanless 486/P5 or maybe even just an x-term.

But a major issue is how I'm going to transmit the music. Has anyone here used those wireless X-10 transmitters? Otherwise I'll need a full PC to run xmms or mpg123, and have my server do on-the-fly encoding to play CDs.

Comment

Working...
          X