Help me build a system...(Please)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me build a system...(Please)

I'm looking to build a PAINFULLY cheap system (well 3 of them) for a friend's business. They will be running as Linux firewalls.

Processor
    Motherboard (try to have 3 pci's onboard everything)
    128mb ram
    case
    keyboard
    HD (Small/cheap as possible)
    floppy

That's all we need.

I've been searching all morning and can't get under $250 or so.

Thanks!

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

How about a MSI MS-6378, this has onboard sound, video and optional LAN, full specs here , partner this with a Duron 750.

Fujitsu hard disk are usually pretty cheap although 10Gb is probably the smallest you'll get.
    When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Taz has it about right...

I can loan you a screwdriver
      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Hey Taz,

Good call on the motherboard! Only $4 more than the PCChips I had down and I'd much rather work with MSI than PCChips.

Also saved me a bit because they had it a GoGocity where I'm getting the other stuff.

Best drive I can find is a Fujitsu 10gb $62.

Duron 700 $31

Anyone know of a decent case (Micro-atx or just ATX) that I can get on-line for less than $30 including shipping? I can get an ATX locally for that.

Thanks,

amish

Comment

Less than $30 including shipping? Sorry, don't know any $20 cases.

Why are you building new? For a firewall, a 486 or so should work fine. Put an ad in the paper, offer $150.

Hell, try eBay. Ask techs at local businesses. I could practically build what you need from spare parts (I think that Maxtor 1.2GB is around here...). Old computer parts never die (just the new, expensive ones do), they just become part of some cardboard box collection.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The reason is that this may become a business sort of situation. He already has an order in for 3 machines. I don't have THAT much spare hardware.

I'd also not want to depend on winning an auction at Ebay to get my parts.

amish

Comment

an underused parts supply for the little guy

another cheap source for parts can be computer recyclers.....there are companies buying outdated PCs and sell the parts fairly cheap.....Blue Fin Technologies (closed) made ok $ doing this but there has to be local ones to you doing the same thing....

the only catch is you have to buy a few of each part to get good deals.....but where you are building 3 PCs, you might be able to do it....if I find the info for my local I'll post it

K?

-Dil
              Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Too bad you're so far.... we've got a place here that sells pc parts really really cheap.... i mean by that that they're almost crasy. I've seen there a 19" monitor for 50$ and complete pc for 100$.

Spazm
                P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Re: Help me build a system...(Please)

Originally posted by Electric Amish
                  I'm looking to build a PAINFULLY cheap system (well 3 of them) for a friend's business. They will be running as Linux firewalls.
                  Usualy when we sell linux firewalls they have a ~100MHz cpu 16mb of ram an old mobo. a case+cpu and a floppy drive! (No HD no graphicscard keyboard mouse monitor etc.)! The firewall software is runing from an boot disk that extrakts the software to a ramdrive! You should be able to get that for about 50$ / computer!
                  According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I really don't see this cbecoming a business situation. $250 is already a tight line, with no profit room. Make phone calls around town. You've got to have at least one store that sells used computers.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I don't get the profit from the $250. I get the profit from what my friend charges the company he is installing it for.

These are his specs.

amish

Comment

HIdiho Neighbor!! (I'm in SLC)

Not to be a party pooper or anything but unless yer running Linux RH 7.1 go with intel stuff, specially the mobos chipset, just talkin from expirience....

Just outta curiosity, why 3 firewalls? have you made any searches on http://www.freshmeat.net or http://www.sourceforge.com for firewalling software?

The LInux Router Project (LRP) doesn't even require an HD, it fits on a single floppy, nor does Gibraltar (its burned on CD, thus zero possibility of coruption, change the config=burn a new CD).

There is 2 more firewalls I like, but I forgot their names.

However... they are NOT based on RH stuff so taht why yer wanna go Intel ALL the way.

Hope this helps you a bit

Greetz

Ralf

Comment

I'm just the hardware guy.

There are 3 firewalls because there will be 3 access points on the network my friend is installing. It's accross 3 buildings.

I'm just filling the specs as set by my friend. I'm sure he has his reasons. I don't know anyone that knows more about Linux than he does. He just finished a couple of presentations at the Borland conference in California using Linux and Kylix(sp?).

amish

Comment

Working...
                          X