Help with Dual Modem Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with Dual Modem Question

I just got a seconded account and was wondering if doing that dual modem thing was worth it or not. It looks like it will be years before I will be able to get some type of high speed access, so is doing a dual modem hookup worth it or not?
    Does the setup need to be from the same ISP or can I use two different ISP's? The reason for asking is we got a free account from work.
    What needs to be done to get it all setup? Will it help for online gaming? (main reason for asking) What would be the benefits from this type of setup or pitfalls ?

Thanks for your input.

Oboy
    Last edited by Oboy; 1 August 2001, 10:27.
    Time to make the wafers!
    Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
    jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

I've never used such a set up before, but I do know that the accounts must be from the same ISP. Also the ISP has to support dual modems. Assuming it's two 56k modems on clean phone lines you'll be able to reach near-ISDN speeds when downloading. However the ping in gaming will probably not decrease, and might even increase because of the balancing that needs to be done between the two lines.

Comment

I can only talk about win98(se) - here you have the option to use "multilink". you can specify a own telephone number for the second modem...

never tried it, only know that it is there

mfg
      wulfman
      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
      "Lobsters?"
      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I ran dual 56k USR modems for a while.
        It has it's pros and cons.

Both modems must be connecting to the same ISP, and the ISP must support multi-linking (not all do). Usually, there will be an extra monthly charge from the ISP to do this (my old ISP charged an extra 10 or 15 bucks a month)
        Then, of course is the monthly cost of a second phone line in your house.

As far as performance goes, U/L and D/L speeds are effectivly doubled, however, gaming pings remain about the same, but with less packet loss.
        I had tried the multi-link thing primarily for gaming, but to me, the extra cost was not worth the slight improvement it provided.
        Core2 Duo E7500 2.93, Asus P5Q Pro Turbo, 4gig 1066 DDR2, 1gig Asus ENGTS250, SB X-Fi Gamer ,WD Caviar Black 1tb, Plextor PX-880SA, Dual Samsung 2494s

Comment

Thank you for the info.
          Looks like Ill keep hoping that someday I can get DSL or Cable.
          /me hopes it before I'm 6 feet under!

Oboy
          Time to make the wafers!
          Oboy Inside!

intel P4 2.26 @ 2.957Ghz

"Life isn't like a box of chocolates...it's more like a jar of
          jalapenos. What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow."

Comment

Working...
          X