Gettin the ground loops out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gettin the ground loops out...

On this day, it seems my RR-g decided to cooperate. I actually bent both the G400 and the RR-g screw plates so the cards would go in further. Its given me about 75% success rate, better than nothing...

Now that I have the tuner working, I notice some slanted ripples on the screen, more prominent on some channels than others. A few have commented this "feature" might be caused by ground loops. Is there a quick and easy fix for this? Also can my cable tv signal be degraded by running alongside power cords?

Sorry for the double post...

[This message has been edited by Boul (edited 16 March 2000).]

I used to have a G200 Marvel, now have the G400 / RR-G setup and I can see a definite quality loss on the lower-band channels. I agree that it's probably caused by power interference.

In another thread we talked about possible means to insulate against the interference, but even surrounding it in aluminium foil didn't really work and I was wary of possible heat concerns. So in the end if I want to watch clear TV I'll go into the living room.

- Aryko

Comment

The slanted "features", I believe, are due to electromagnetic interaction between the RR-G tuner and the em fields emitted by your CPU and your mobo. The frequencies at which they work nowadays are just in the middle of the HF frequencies used to broadcast TV.
      This is why I am in favor of the Marvel, which has its tuner outside the computer case. I had an RR-G before and I can see a big decrease in the intensity of these slowly moving slanted "features" with the Marvel.
      Michka

[This message has been edited by Michel Carleer (edited 16 March 2000).]
      I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
      If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

I found out stuffing my pci cards (especially the pesky SBlive!) as far away as possible really cleared up the signal. Reception is now comparable to my cheapo samsung 13 inch, except on channel 3, which still has the ripples.

BTW, I can now get the RR-G to work, almost everytime. Seems some PCI slots are better than others for the SBLIVE cards on ABIT boards. Live and learn...

Comment

Working...
        X