Big IBM drive PROBLEM!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big IBM drive PROBLEM!!!

I have this IBM 60GXP 40G drive and it decided it would go berserk on me a couple of days ago.

The computer locked up, very rare. I started up the computer and now the thing says that there is no OS installed. I pop in some boot disks to try and repair the OS installation (win2k). NO GO. My old c: partition now reports as g: and it's no longer the primary partition. There is a new partition you can't see in the install program of w2k. I don't kow what's wrong yet, so I pop the drive out and take it home to my friend. I put in the drive and all data is there but there is a new partition. Its capacity is UNKNOWN. It's truly one strange autogenerated partition, it's not an extended nor a logical one either, it's just there.

Now this renders the disk unuseable because I can't take this strange partition away (Partition magic, w2k installprog, win98se install prog (just had to try) and that makes it impossible to install an OS.

So my question to you all is: What the HELL do I do to repair this drive???

Now give me an answer or I will have to RMA it.

Thanks for reading.

maybe ZAP from here could be useful!

Comment

This could actually work. Thanks Ayoub!!!.

Comment

LOW LEVEL FORMAT!! WOOHOO!! ZAP THAT PUPPY!!

Comment

Hmmm... My IBM 30Gb 75GXP has just given up the ghost too I only bought it in March! I'm getting nasty "skkckkckkkkrreech, clunk, whirr {repeat}" out of it when I try to access it.

I downloaded the IBM drive fitness test this morning, tested it and it tells me there's bad sectors, so I left it doing what I think it basically a low-level format. If it still has probs, it's going back.

(Anyone ever sent anything back to Simply computers? Any problems?)

Comment

Me too, my 75 GXp 30 gig has gone 3 or 4 times since i bought it last september. A zap with the IBM DFT will solve the problem only temporarily. Send it back.

My goes Schsssss, schhhssss, schhhhss gap repeat, although to be fair its the only IBM h/d that ever done it, its gutting when you lose all your work on it. And it only seems to happen when i haven't backed up my work for a long time.

Last edited by bacon; 30 July 2001, 05:13.

Comment

Too right bacon! I was only thinking last night of digging out my old DAT drive.... too late

Comment

Has anybody tried Easy Recovery Pro yet? I heard it does wonders at recovering files from a hard drive´s corpse...

Comment

My friend and me who had bought IBM 30 gig hdd faced the same "screech" noise and send them for repair .. seemed like only the 30 gig had this problem (other ppl i know also mentioned encountering this problem) 1st time hearing abt it affecting a 40 gig
                  strange thing is i also had the same partition problem as well..
                  Life is a bed of roses. Everyone else sees the roses, you are the one being gored by the thorns.

AMD PhenomII555@B55(Quadcore-3.2GHz) Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD5 Kingston 1x2GB Generic 8400GS512MB WD1.5TB LGMulti-Drive Dell2407WFP
                  ***Matrox G400DH 32MB still chugging along happily in my other pc***

Comment

Originally posted by SteveC
                    Hmmm... My IBM 30Gb 75GXP has just given up the ghost too I only bought it in March! I'm getting nasty "skkckkckkkkrreech, clunk, whirr {repeat}" out of it when I try to access it.
                    nice description (sorry)

my 20gig maxtor drives says it only has 8 gigs, tried, formatting(98, 2k, dos), defragging(98, 2k), scandisk(98, 2k), fdisk, win2k installation

this was posted here a while back, hd hasnt been used since, worked fine for about a year, and the suddenly...

anyone know what might cause it??

Comment

if anyone's interested with help in diagnosing IBM hdds noises the have a look & listen here!

Comment

They Sound like a rabid lawnmower to me.

Now then you guys you're getting me worried I've always stuck to IBM drives since I never had one go wrong. Excluding the crappy Via chipset that wouldn't let me format one until I pissed around in the bios. This was after I resurrected it on a BX motherboard at work.
                        Now I suddenly poeple posting there IBM drive is toast. I'm getting nervous.
                        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
                        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

This is an issue that many other forums/newsgroups have brought attention to that involve the 75GXP series HD's.

To a lesser extent there are also issues with the 60GXP's... it pertains to were the servo amp is located. There are two different variations of this drive... IBM had the 60GXP's originally made in Hungary (I believe this is correct) where those hadn't the problem of overheating the servo amp. When production was switched to China the location of the headamp was moved which started this overheat problem.

I'll try to dig up the info on where this was found and report back ASAP.
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

My 40 GB IBM 60GXP was made in Hungary (I have thought that odd, as I have never associated electronics and Hungary...) and my 60 GB IBM 60 GXP was made in China. My 40 GB has worked flawlessly since I bought it at the beginning of the year. The 60 GB has worked just as well, but I have heard servo pops on occasion.

My drives sit in the path of one of my 3 intake fans, so overheating has never been an issue.

Jammrock
                            “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                            –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

One of my two IBM 75GXP 30Gig drives failed on me last week as well. And guess what? It sounds EXACTLY like "skkckkckkkkrreech, clunk, whirr {repeat}" when it tries to start up.

Man, what I'm gonna do without my RAID-array?
                              Any advice on two reliable, fast and still not too expensive HDs for building a >=80GB RAID array?
                              And since it'd be no fault if they were silent as well I guess I'm going to have no other choice but IBM....
                              Last edited by Indiana; 30 July 2001, 11:16.
                              But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                              My System
                              2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                              German ATI-forum

Comment

Working...
                              X