Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interlacing Problem: Tsunami vs. CCE SP

Dear all,

I tried to encode MPEG-2 with both, Tsunami and CCS SP. The material was captured with Matrox Marvel 400 TV. It consists of several files, I therefore used AviSynth to concatenate them and also to create 480x576 PAL SVCD size.

Method 1 works well: Feed it directly to Tsunami and encode. I de-interlace with Tsunami's built-in function, selecting odd. The result looks quite impressive. No problems.

Method 2 has a problem: I use VirtualDub to convert it to the correcvt size, as CCE SP isn't able to do so. I recompress using either HuffYuv of PICVideo codec with quality setting 20. By doing so, I also noticed the interlacing artefacts. The result will be that in scenes with a lot of motion, there are some ghost structures.

I tried to de-interlace with seveal VD filters, including smart-deinterlace. I tried different settings of CCE SP: but in the end, I think this is not the correct way. I thought the card is producing interlaced video, odd.

Shouldn't there be a quick and simple way to de-interlace without motion estimation etc. like in smart-deinterlace?

Thanks for every hint.
    Best Regards,
    Karlson.

My setup: not sexy, but stable...
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-7XIE4 (Irongate)
    Bios: Version FAD beta
    CPU: AMD TB 1300/200FSB
    RAM: 640 MB PC-100 noname
    Video: Matrox Marvel G400 TV
    Sound: SB Live Value
    Disks: 40GB Maxtor, 120GB Seagate and 80 GB Highpoint RAID0/Samsung

Have you tried Frameserving from V-Dub to CCE SP?

It is pretty simple if you can do AVI Synth than this should be cake. Instead of recompressing choose uncompressed as your output codec and your audio as direct stream copy. Apply all of your video filters; ie. resize, deinterlace, 2D cleaner, whatever and start frameserving it to CCE. Make sure that video is set to full processing mode. It is still faster than TMPGEnc (as far as I remember) and the qualty is great. It works especially well with the MJPEG codec of the Marvel. And of course you can use the Append segment to join several clips together.
    WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that. But on the other hand: you spoke about "deinterlace". That's exactly my problem.

You seem to have experience with that scenario. So what settings did you use?

Thanks.
      Best Regards,
      Karlson.

Comment

It's been a while, but here are the settings as far as I can remember:

1. Resize to 480*480 using precise bicubic

2. Smart deinterlace (low setting using the preview option till it's clean)

3. A little 2D cleaner

4. Uncompressed, full processing mode for video, direct stream copy for audio

5. Frameserve to CCE SP

Hope this helps, use the preview window to see what it is going to look like going to the encoder. The fewer processing that is going on the better the results are going to be.
        WinXP Pro SP2 ABIT IC7 Intel P4 3.0E 1024M Corsair PC3200 DCDDR ATI AIW x800XT 2 Samsung SV1204H 120G HDs AudioTrak Prodigy 7.1 3Com NIC Cendyne DVR-105 DVD burner LG DVD/CD-RW burner Fortron FSP-300-60ATV PSU Cooled by Zalman Altec Lansing MX-5021

Comment

Thanks. I'll give it a try.

It's Baby Video. So it may take a while before I have time. As you are German, you might have read in c't already in a reader's comment that he said: only unemployed and retired are realy able to do video editing
          Best Regards,
          Karlson.

Comment

Hi Karlson

You didn't mention if you selected the box to create two fields within picvideo. If so, you're possibly interlacing your deinterlaced video.

mikie

Comment

Thanks for all the help. I wasn't able to try out all of them so far. A short summary: in the beginning I thought that the source would be captured with 576 lines that are afterwards split into two (odd and even numbered lines). I thought Tsunami would simply re-arange them into one 576 line image.

Donald Graft (Mr. smart-deinterlace) explained to me that Tsunami will only select odd lines and double them, thus reducing the horizontal resolution. And in fact I was able to see that in the picture. For such a reduction, the result was pretty good.

So I now used the smart-deinterlace and produced the video with CCE SP and the result was (clearly) much better, because now I use 576 lines vertical resolution.

But in any case, I would have expected that there is a switch to say to CCE SP: source is interlaced, especially because I thought the output is also interlaced. So there should be no real problem. I am still a bit confused and will try other tips.

Thanks again.
              Best Regards,
              Karlson.

Comment

Working...
              X