LOL.. Bad Bios Flash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LOL.. Bad Bios Flash

Hah.. I was playing around at getting Linux (Debian 2.2 Newest Potato release) installed on the SCSI drive and when I went to install the files from the CD it couldn't mount the CD Drive... I discovered that the BIOS on this old motherboard doesn't pick it up when booting... so I went to Gigabytes nice website and found the latest bios (Supports >8.4GB and Something else.. but it doesn't matter.)

Well anyways.. I use their flash program and save a copy of the old one and flash the new one in...

Now my computer doesn't realize it has a Floppy Drive and there are some funky transparent options in my bios... as well as a bad flash message that comes on after it initializes anything PNP before passing control to Win98

Intrigued by this I do a quick search on google and turn up the same article in many languages stating that the program doesn't work if you make a copy of your old bios and (if the board has it... pipeline burst cache enabled)

LOL.. the could have put a warning on the website.. oh well... heheh ... guess I get to work on low level hardware configuration for a bit and see if I can reverse flash the bios with an ambiguous AMI/Award bios flashing program that doesn't recognize anything other than I am using an x86 compatible CPU (Intel)

I haven't had this much fun in ages..

(Not since figuring out a way to flash a generic bios into my little brothers Diamond Viper V770 after it forgot its bios and still had the crappy diamond safeguards plus an unrecognized eeprom )

Fun Fun Fun.
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

all fixed

Except for an annoying DMI (Unknown Flash Type Message) it works fine...

Turns out that the first flash of the bios was bad (Froze)... the second was bad - it disabled and removed the floppy drive controller controls. The Third and Forth had invalid checksums (Using an older bios version) and the Fifth time worked like a charm (New Bios and Different Flash Program).

Now It works fine (Finds the CD-Rom and Will let me boot from SCSI) and I may be able to get rid of the annoying Fujitsu Overlay program that irritates the hell out of me. Yay For Me.

Too bad it wasn't as bad as I was hoping for.. I wanted more of a challenge.

Time to install Debian before I goto sleep.. maybe then I will hit some more fun problems to solve.
    AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
    AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
    Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
    Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

You got lucky, my firend tried flashing his MSI mobo and it fried his bios!! When he wanted to buy just the Eeprom the guy at the store told him that it would be cheaper to buy a new board, so he did.
      Titanium is the new bling!
      (you heard from me first!)

Comment

That's weird, Last year when everybody seemed content on zapping their mobos to become "Y2K safe" we ordered a boatload of new bios epproms and I newer saw one that cost more than 40$!
        If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Of course it didn't cost more than a motherboard. The guy only said that because he couldn't/didn't know how to/didn't wanna bother/ to get you friend a new chip.

Comment

Hehe, the bios eeprom didn't cost much, and the board was worth even less, it was really low quality, he needed something better anyways.
            Titanium is the new bling!
            (you heard from me first!)

Comment

Working...
            X