Low quality Video sources (games) w/G400TV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low quality Video sources (games) w/G400TV

Firstly, I'm only asking about NTSC video signals. I have no experience with PAL.

I've been extremely pleased with the capture quality of my G400TV. This post only concerns using the G400TV to view video signals, not to capture them. When I first purchased it, I was so pleased that I didn't need a Television to watch TV anymore. Being that I live in Osaka, I have a tiny apartment, and don't really have enough space for a monitor AND a television. It's been quite a godsend.

The problem, however, is that when trying to play video games on my various game systems (N64, Playstation, etc.), the video the G400TV displays to my screen jumps vertically very badly. Trying to play games with the video jumping up and down spastically yields a splitting headache.

Has anyone had any luck with figuring out a way to keep the G400TV's picture from jumping around when using what Matrox calls "Low Quality Video Sources". In their documentation they mention that you can get a jumpy picture from some VCR's, and they completely ignore the fact that you get jumpy video from all video game systems that run games at 30fps instead of 60fps. This means essentially every system before the Dreamcast, as well as all Dreamcast and PS2 games that run at 30fps as well (although those are few and far between). The video tracking utility they distribute with their drivers does nothing either. The only games that aren't affected are those that ran at 60fps.

One option open to me is to reduce the size/resolution of the video application (I normally use PC-VCR, although it occurs in all applications that can access the driver) to something below 720x480. At this point, the jumping stops, but several frames per second are discarded (generally, making it so choppy that most games are unplayable).

Any answer to this problem would be greatly appreciated. I'd hate to have to buy a TV just to be able to play my game systems.

Well, thanks giving this a read. Any help is greatly appreciated. I've been a regular reader of this forum for quite some time. If there's someone who can relate/help with this problem, I'm confident this is where I'll find them.

-Joseph Holley

Low tech solution?

Is there a way you could find a VGA scan converter to hook your game console directly to your monitor?

I seem to recall the Playstation or N64 (I can never keep them all straight) had an optional accessory called a "digital video connector" which was for use on HDTVs.

I'd try to keep the Matrox out of the loop in your situation.

- Aryko

Comment

I could purchase a VGA scan converter, but all that I've seen are specific to the system at hand, i.e. only work for the Playstation, only work for the n64 etc. due to proprietary connectors. In addition, they are around $150 US each. At that point, I may as well give up, as I would be spending $450 dollars or so to connect all of my systems. I'd rather trade in my monitor for a good TV at that point, and just run the Matrox output through the TV for my computer. I'm being facetious here: I'm really seeking a solution that doesn't require my to spend nearly that amount of money or purchase a TV.

Would anyone be able to give me a decently detailed explaination of why this is happening (Dr. Mordid, perhaps ? I think that if I can track down the source of the problem, I'll have an easier time solving it. Perhaps there is some kind of hardware I could run the game system's video signal through to make it compatible with the G400TV? A resonably-priced VCR or something? Has anyone else had/solved this issue?

If that's not a possibility, I might look into buying a second PCTV card of some sort. I remember that the ATI TV card I had didn't have this issue with game systems (it had a problem deinterlacing the signal correctly, and would display deinterlacing artifacts, but atleast I didn't end up with a splitting headache). If I can buy a cheap $40-60 dollar card that will allow me to play my games, I will gladly do that.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-Joseph

Comment

Does anyone have another idea, please?

-Joseph

Comment

Last Time

This will be my last time bumping the message. If anyone can help, PLEASE respond. Surely I'm not the only person with a G400TV that plays video games? Surely?

-Joe

Comment

Working...
          X