Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oh, no, being tempted by the dark side of graphics cards.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oh, no, being tempted by the dark side of graphics cards.

I am about 2 clicks from ordering this 32 MB GF Pro.

It's just so damn cheap, dkr 1079 (app $120) which is just a bit more than a Geforce MX or a Radeon SDR, and a whopping 20% cheaper than a Kyro 2.

It's not a real Pro, it only has 5,5 ns ram, but did I mention how cheap this is ?

The place has a 14 days return policy (danish law for post order sales ), so I can always send it back, and only have lost the shipping. But at that price it'll have to be pretty damn lousy not to at least be useful as a gaming card.
    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

I say give it a shot as you say, you can always return it!

Comment

No no no!

Get the Kyro2. You can order them generically online for $110, which is a whopping 9% cheaper than the price you just quoted! And you get 5ns memory, to boot!

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Unfortunately I cannot get a cheap Kyro 2 here, the cheapest I can get comes in at dkr 1350

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

I´d go for it, not even thinking twice. (for the Geforce, of course).

Comment

AAAAARRRRGGGHHHH!

The pain! The pain! Make it stop!

Blurry = BAD!
            GeFarce = Blurry!

Therefore, we can assume that:

GeFarce = BAD!

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Oh but Gurm, we here at the NURC have all the info on ABC 123 mod's to fix that!
              "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I have three options providing that the 2D quality is a poor as I fear.

1) Return the damned thing and keep on waiting for Maxtrox to deliver.
                2) Get out my soldering iron and try the filter mod.
                3) Pop in my Matrox Mystique PCI and only use the Gefarce for gaming (is this even possible under Win2K?).

Kinda leaning towards option 3, providing it is possible of course.

Comment

Let me get this straight. You're gonna spend hundreds of dollars on a video card, only to modify it with a soldering iron?

I have NEVER understood this.

- Gurm

Comment

Go with Hercules 4500. Get the OEM version that´s much cheaper and same thing as retail. You can get the 64 Megger as low as $95. You won´t regret it. You had a bad experience with Powercolor and 2d, right?

Prices also droped, you can get it cheaper now. New companies are releasing its producs and by the latest reviews they seem to be comparable to Hercules 4500 (same reference design, same 2d quality - although I slight doubt it - same speed, same (poor) overclockability.

The point too much people seem to be missing now is the video memory size. They compare 32 Mb GTS with 64 Mb KyroII. That´s nonsense. I wouldn´t buy a 32 Mb card now unless I was really on a budget. Game textures are getting bigger and bigger. Keep in mind that you need 12 Mb already at 1024x768x32, Triple bufering, 32 bit z. 20 Mb is getting short for new games, IMHO. And when 32 Mb Geforce´s start doing AGP texturing, not even all T&L of the world will rescue you.

Comment

Nuno, the OEM Kyro 2 is still a good 20% more expensive here.
                      Besides, I am having serious doubts about buying a new graphics card without T&L capabilities.

Comment

Dude, the T&A on anything but the GeForce3 isn't worth a hill of beans anyway! DX8 T&L is the only worthwhile one, and the ONLY card in THE WORLD with that is GeForce3, to date (although Radeon can fake it in hardware, but that's ugly).

- Gurm

P.S. Besides, admit (as I have) that the Kyro2 is just holding you over until Matrox's next-gen gaming card comes out (whenever the hell that is) or the Radeon2 hits, and it'll hurt less.

Comment

Hehe, that Geforce 2 card will be out of my pc like a bat out of hell once Matrox releases something interesting

About the T&L engine on anything but a Geforce 3 being worthless ... we'll see, at least I'll have good 3Dmark 2001 scores

Comment

Gurm, it was a rhetorical joke. DOH!
                            "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, I got the darned thing, I'm posting my impressions and benchmarks in the Benchmarks section.
                              Last edited by CHHAS; 28 July 2001, 02:13.

Comment

Working...
                              X