• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plextor America Announces 24/10/40 CD-RW

WooHoo Yippee

It's on storagereview.com
    [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
    Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
    Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
    Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
    Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

I guess that explains why buy.com is having a sale on the 16x for only $177 with free shipping. Any word on SCSI stuff?
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

No word on SCSI unfortunately. I heard they were phasing out their SCSI burners because of a perceived lack of demand. I personally think SCSI is better but overpriced.
      [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
      Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
      Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
      Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
      Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Now my Plextor 8/4/32 doesn't seem so fast anymore...

Comment

looks like upgrade time is coming around again!

Comment

Actually, there is a limit as to how much speed you need.

First problem - nobody has yet made a true 24x drive. In fact 12x is the maximum REAL speed, although Plextor does a few nifty tricks to get 12-16 variable instead of 4-16 variable like Yamaha.

Second problem - I can burn a disc in 4 minutes. Explain why I want to spend $300 to burn one in 3.5 minutes?

- Gurm
            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
            If only life were as easy as you
            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
            I would still get screwed

Comment

I'll take 2!!!

Jammrock
              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

They are not phasing out the SCSI. That was just a rumour.
                C:\DOS
                C:\DOS\RUN
                \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

I don't know DF. The press release is only for the IDE version. And there's still no SCSI Plextor 16x that I know of.
                  Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

That's unfortunate if Plextor abandons SCSI. They've always been the high end of the field, and the high end means SCSI too. I wrote them asking for the faster CDRW drives in SCSI, and also for a DVD drive in both ATA and SCSI. I also asked them to provide front bezels in black and silver, like Toshiba does. Don't know how far this will go, but the more people who send suggestions in, the greater the "perceived demand" will be. I have always lamented the holes in Plextor's product offering lineup, because I would like to have 100% Plextor drives in my system. Now that DVD burners are coming out, we need one of those from them too.

Please write them at suggestions@plextor.com and make your wishes known.

Comment

Gurm, what do you mean by "real" speed? I'm thinking of CAV drives, but doesn't that only apply to reading, and not burning?

Comment

Anything over 12x write right now is only doing >12x as you move away from the center of the disk.

Comment

Well I just emailed 'em.
                          C:\DOS
                          C:\DOS\RUN
                          \RUN\DOS\RUN

Comment

Snake:

Yeah, CAV. It unfortunately applies to both reading and writing... Kenwood True-X drives excepted... (although those turned out to be sucky drives overall).

- Gurm
                            The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
                            I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
                            I would still get screwed

Comment

I just emailed them, too!

Jammrock
                              “Inside every sane person there’s a madman struggling to get out”
                              –The Light Fantastic, Terry Pratchett

Comment

Working...
                              X