Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, freezing, Patrick

Patrick

Am freezing some vital organs off in your country, at the moment, although nowhere near you (Montreal). Only 29 deg C (it was 42 when I left home). Talk about thermal shock treatment No wonder you play hockey here.

Brian (the devil incarnate)

Brian, sorry to hear you're "freezing some vital organs off" in Montreal. However, I suppose the smaller one’s organs are, the more susceptible they are to the cold!!! Heh, heh, couldn’t resist!

Just so all our American friends know what’s going on, Brian is referring to 29 degrees Celsius, NOT Fahrenheit. No, we do NOT have natural ice to skate on here in Canada 12 months of the year.

Brian, why are you wasting your time in eastern Canada? The west coast of beautiful British Columbia is where you should be visiting.

Comment

Patrick

I've never been in BC but I've been many times in your S neighbour Washington State and I think it's one of the best regions in the USA, albeit a tad on the wet side

I'm here in the francophone Acadia (or nearly so) for a UNEP meeting and, because we are supposed to protect the environment, we can't go to places where the problems are minimal. What I love about here is the 17-18th c pronunciation of French! Although I took 2 taxis today and one driver was Algerian and the other Haitien!

Comment

Yes, it certainly is "a tad on the wet side" here. However, for one to enjoy the pleasures of living in a rain forest, one also has to endure a little rain now and again. Nothing that using an umbrella won't resolve.

Hope you enjoy your stay in Canada, Brian.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Ellis
          Although I took 2 taxis today and one driver was Algerian and the other Haitien!
          Brian, that sounds just like Paris !

Cheers
          Chris

Comment

Have just got back to a warmer clime. My impressions of Montreal:
            Positive:
            Lively city
            Excellent food
            Accent in French much less québecois than I had anticipated
            Excellent ISP service
            Fantastic botanical gardens (75 ha, if you please)
            Friendly people
            Good hotel for just CAD 130/night
            Mövenpick Marché
            Tax refund system

Negative:
            Other than Mount Royal itself, boringly flat
            Quite expensive for things other than the hotel

Although I took my camcorder, didn't use it. OTOH, I did use my digital still (about 130 4.3 Mpixel shots), largely in the botanical gardens, which was the only tourist place I had time to visit.

Comment

I spent 1 year in Montreal. To summarize: the best combination of anglosaxon efficiency at work during office hours and latin way of life in the evening or during holidays. Positively love it.
              Michka
              I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
              If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Other than Mount Royal itself, boringly flat
                Brian, if it's real mountains you want, we got those out here also.

Comment

Patrick

I bet you have! Must admit I'm a bit of a montagnard, having been brought up in Scotland, lived most of my life in Switzerland and now retired (?) here. The two holidays Margaret and I spent in the USA were touring down the Appalachians (Vermont to S. Virginia) and the Rockies (Cascades to Sierra Nevada) - both were memorable. I spent three years in Cambridge (the English one), where the surrounding countryside is mostly as flat as a pancake and that left me cold (literally, in winter, as it was damp and the E. winds blew in directly from Siberia).

Comment

I'm leaving in 7 hours to go up the coast for a week. I'll be staying in a friend's house which is right on the ocean. They used to have a fish farm operation, but it went belly up. (Pardon the pun!) No roads, no cars, no electricity, not a man-made sound to be heard. Just the fresh sea air and the wonderful smell of cedar forests which cover the mountains right down to the water.

Ok, got to get some sleep now. "Talk" to you again in a week.

By the way Brian, my Dad was born in Paisley. Anywhere near where you grew up?

Comment

Patrick

Have a good trip. You obviously cannot recharge yous camera's batteries, but you may be able to recharge your own!

Paisley is the opposite side of the country to where I came from (Edinburgh) and must be fully 100 km away! That doesn't sound a lot, but it was like Australia during the war, when travelling was quasi-forbidden for non-essential reasons.

Comment

Working...
                      X