NT4 hack for Win2k?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NT4 hack for Win2k?

Ok, i finnaly found some info burried deep here where someone claims to have gotten the newer vid tools to install on Win2k.

He posted a URL (im at work, link is at home). He mentioned using SoftICE to hack the install, and i dont understand what it is.

Has anyone gotten that hack to work? If so, what were the detailed steps needed to get it to work?
    Marvel G200 8 Meg PCI

I have updated the page after i read your post. SoftICE is a debugger. It is difficult to use. The instructions on the webpage are not detailed. There some steps that are difficult to explain. It is not a big difference between VT 1.23 and 1.52. Two things are different. Half of the times you can close your capture application without getting a BSOD. It is possible to output AVIs to video outputs.

Comment

Stating the adress would also be fine!

------------------
      INTEL PIII550 MSI 6163
      G400Mill 32MB SGRAM + RRG
      SBlive
      128 MB RAM CAS2
      19GB HDD Space! (6.4+13 quantum drives)
      Pioneer 104S DVD 10x CD 40x SLOT IN
      SONY CRX100E 4/2/24 CDRW

If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Here is the adress http://yesiwantspam.tripod.com

Comment

Now i have used Debugers on Win2000 and Millennium (i386kd & rterm), never heard of SoftICE. Can i use i386kd instead? Having testing Win2k for months now its quite easy to set up the internal debuger for it.

Or would i be better off trying to install NT4 Server?

Marvel G200 8 Meg PCI

Comment

Hi!

There is MUCH easier way!

First, you need original(!) W2k CD, which includes W2k Support Tools (under support folder).
            Install it. You'll find nice program there - appcompat.exe.
            By using it to lie to VidTools setup is running under NT4 SP5, it will install.
            Don't be afraid, if appcompat freezes initially - just kill it via task manager - setup will start and run perfect!

I managed to make it work - you an use MJPEG compression and watch TV (in the upper left corner, no resize...), but capture does not work...

Dmitry

P.S. Please, let me know your results!!!

------------------
            DGCom

[This message has been edited by dgcom (edited 07 March 2000).]
            DGCom

Comment

I have tried APCOMPAT.EXE before and it didn't work. But when i try it now it works. Much easier than using SoftICE. Before setup.exe didn't continue when i killed APCOMPAT.EXE.

Comment

I tried apcompat this morning, with no success. It hangs and when I kill it, the setup continues and says it's the wrong version of Windows.

What's the trick to getting it to work?

AlgoRhythm

Comment

What did you select for Operating system in appcompat?
                  (Should be Windows NT4 SP5)

Which version of VidTools you tried to install?
                  (Should be NT version)

I'm also usually check "Use pre-Windows-2000 Temp path"

And the last one - clean your temporary folder before running installation and exit all other programs - InstallShield is very sensitive to them...

Note: by default, temp path in W2k is set to something like this:
                  C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Temp
                  (check system environment variable TEMP)
                  and folder "Local Settings" is hidden...
                  (I'm not sure this is the same in Pro version - I'm using server...)

DGCom

[This message has been edited by dgcom (edited 11 March 2000).]

[This message has been edited by dgcom (edited 11 March 2000).]
                  DGCom

Comment

I used "Use pre-Windows-2000 Temp path", and it installed fine.

But, the video window is just that dark green overlay color.

In TV mode it's tuning channels in, because I can hear the audio.

But no video in any mode.

I'm using a G200 Marvel AGP. Is any one else using this card with success under Win2K?

AlgoRhythm

Comment

AlgoRhythm,
                      I am using G200 marvel AGP. Have you installed PD 4.35. You can't use any newer PD.

Comment

Oh, OK. I've been trying to get it to work with the PD 5.03 for W2K. I'll try the older drivers when I get home tonight.

Thanks,
                        AlgoRhythm

Comment

Hmm...

PD 5.03 and NT VidTools 1.52 here on Marvel G400 "works"...

At least, I can watch TV...

DGCom

P.S. I forgot to tell before, there would be "ATL.DLL error" at the end of installation... That's Ok.

DGCom

Comment

OK guys, this is how I managed to install PC-VCR under W2K, and how I can watch TV with it on my Marvel G400.
                            1) To install the latest WinNT version of PC-VCR, you have to run (as mentionned in another thread) the apcompat program to be found in the support folder of the W2K CD. Launch it, click on NT4 SP5, browse for the PC-VCR setup program and finally click on OK. And ... nothing happens. Then if you close apcompat by clicking the close button, PC-VCR setup launches and tells you it cannot install on this version of Windows. Here is the trick: instead of closing apcompat, press alt-ctrl-del and kill apcompat from the task manager. And voila, setup starts and this time installs everything, without complaining about the Win version.
                            2) Watching TV. As was already mentionned, PC-VCR works OK, except for the picture being vertically squashed in the upper left corner of the screen. Resizing or moving the TV window does nothing to it. But here is the second trick: click the capture button on the remote. It will only record sound (video capture does not work), but, miracle, the picture instantly resizes to the TV window size and position. Immediately stop the capture. Each time you resize the window, you have to start/stop capture to resize and reposition the picture. You can even do this to get full screen.
                            The process is a bit annoying, but he, it's better than nothing, isn't it?
                            Michka
                            I am watching the TV and it's worthless.
                            If I switch it on it is even worse.

Comment

Now, when more than two people knows that at least "half" of Marworks in W2k, there is the question - when real drivers be out there?
                              (I think, this is even more than a "half" - TV+HW codec work, capture and window resize/move doesn't)

I was "convinced" by Matrox tech support to buy Marvel G400 when it just came out - I was told that drivers for w2k (I explained, that I'll be using w2k from its start) will be available about the same time as w2k itself... It's apparently not true - they are still not here. And, even w2k G400 drivers work with Marvel, they are "not supported" with it.
                              A lot was said about w2k drivers already, and I don't want to continue the flame, but... If TV and codec work, they should had plenty of time to fix capture and make at least beta available by now...

DGCom

DGCom

Comment

Working...
                              X