No announcement yet.

How Fast Can I get a T-Bird 850 to Go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Fast Can I get a T-Bird 850 to Go?

Hi all,

I guess the title says it all, I'm looking to get a 850 and want to know whether it can go at least to 1GHz with my standard cooling (see sig). Any thoughts on this and no I can't (sadly) pick up a 1GHz CPU (this one will be a free upgrade). Thanks for any thoughts .

dsp
    1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
    512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
    MSI 845PE FISR
    8.4GB Quantum CR
    40GB Maxtor 5400
    MSI 40X12X48
    Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
    SB Audigy
    Parhelia (210/600)
    19" Dell P991
    Win2kPro
    Intel Gigabit Network

Depends. My Duron 800 ran stable at up to 1050MHz and posted up to 1100MHz. But there's of course no guarantee, as with RAM you can be lucky or not. Most newer Durons seem to manage about 1GHz, though.
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

Goto www.overclockers.com and click on the database up in the top somewhere.

It has quite a good selection of users input.

Ali

Comment

Well, my 700 TB did 850 no probs. 900 with help from mr. voltage and 927 was the most it would go before I'd get no POST. So I think 1G is do-able.

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

It will probably make it, but there's a chance it won't. My Duron 850 only makes it to 1GHz. It will run at 1033/1050/1066, but it has what appears to be a cache error at those speeds. Just remember that Thunderbirds have a larger cache -&gt larger die -&gt more area for process variation and other defects.
          Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I have my Duron 800 running very stable at 1035 (7.5x138).

As with all overclocking, you never know until you try.

amish
            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

My old 850Mhz T'bird ran quite happily at 1Ghz (7.5 x 133) with just a Globalwin FOP32 to keep it cool
              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

How Fast Can I get a T-Bird 850 to Go?
                I'll mail you one tomorrow! How do you want to pay for it?
                According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Do you happen to know if that is a copper or aluminum core T-Bird? The copper ones overclock like mad.
                  I would think you can hit around 950 if its aluminum, and at least a gig if its a copper core.

Of course cooling is extremely important for a good overclock

Comment

rylan's right. There have been lots of variables in TBirds.. if you got one of the earlier ones, it might not do as well. They've supposedly all been produced in Dresden for awhile now, with copper interconnects, but with the 850 speed grade it might be an old one from Austin, thus Al interconnects. Check the code on it to see the week and year of production. I think the code is, after the letters identifying the stepping, year and then week of that year produced. For example, 0106 was produced in the 6th week of 2001. Someone correct me if I'm off here. Generally speaking, the newer the processor, the more overclockable.

Comment

yeah I'd assume that its a newer one as it would be straight from a company, but if I do get one I'll be sure to check the core before I get it. Any way to distinguish Copper from Aluuminum cores? Thanks for the input so far anyway.

dsp
                      1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
                      512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
                      MSI 845PE FISR
                      8.4GB Quantum CR
                      40GB Maxtor 5400
                      MSI 40X12X48
                      Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
                      SB Audigy
                      Parhelia (210/600)
                      19" Dell P991
                      Win2kPro
                      Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

Oh, about 200MPH taped to one of SCompRacer's cars....LOL

Paul
                        "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

Well that sure explains why they use 486's on the Space Shuttle! A little extra boost(er rocket) never hurt anybody!

-------------------------
                          (except Challenger, my condolences guys
                          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                          X