Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Problem

Well folks, I have a problem.

When I boot up my machine, the display goes all schizoid and flickery for a few minutes.

Swapping the Kyro2 for an older card (Julie's TNT2M64) solves the problem. Is it...

1. The Kyro2 shitting the bed (in which case I go buy a new one from Best Buy, WITH Tv-Out this time)?

2. The power supply (which has been a bit noisy and flaky of late) not providing the Kyro enough current?

Or... is it a toss-up?

I need to do the PS anyway, so I'm thinking I'll just get both, but nobody local carries good Power Supplies. Anyone got a link to a VERY high-quality supply?

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

What size do you need?
    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Well, it was the Kyro... since the replacement I just bought works fine. Guess I need to RMA this to Hercules (pain in the ass).

I need... err... big.

Enough to run 4 hard drives, three cd/dvd devices, a full array of cards and a dual-cpu board, with some left over.

- Gurm
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

Think a 460w jobby would do you right?
        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

well...sweden is powering down one of the reactors on Barsebeck ! Maybe you could get that one for a bargain
          Fear, Makes Wise Men Foolish !
          incentivize transparent paradigms

Comment

Are Sparkle PS crappy? None of the local places sell Antec Power Supplies, but a very reliable place sells Sparkle.
            Gigabyte GA-K8N Ultra 9, Opteron 170 Denmark 2x2Ghz, 2 GB Corsair XMS, Gigabyte 6600, Gentoo Linux
            Motion Computing M1400 -- Tablet PC, Ubuntu Linux

"if I said you had a beautiful body would you take your pants off and dance around a bit?" --Zapp Brannigan

Comment

I have been running a 300W sparkle for going on 3 years now with no problems. They are supposed to be good.

Rags

Comment

I've never had a problem with Power Man (which used to be included with InWin cases), but lately this one has been flaky (of course the fact that my brother DROPPED the machine might have something to do with that), and it IS 4 years old after all, and only 350W.

I figure I'll buy the best, since my next case upgrade isn't far away and I'll need a good PS since the NICE cases come without, so why not get a good one now.

Is there a noticeable difference in quality between PC Power and Antec?

- Gurm

Comment

Turbo, if you have ever looked into a ATX 2.03 compliant PS you would find that all they have done is run another wire from the same +12vdc souce and routed it to another connector.

ie 6 of one, half dozen of the other

Sparkle and Powerman PS's are made by the same people, just a different label(there are about a dozen others made by the same folks)
                  Last edited by Greebe; 23 July 2001, 16:47.

Comment

I have a Fortran Source supply, which I'm 98% sure is just an upmodel Sparkle (it's a low-noise model).

If you do go with a PC&C (haven't known an unhappy owner yet), consider the Silencer models. They're impressive.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Working...
                    X