G550 speculation from board pix...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G550 speculation from board pix...

Was just gnawing on some thoughts about the G550 coming from the press pix that exist...

One board for all G550 based cards? the only obvious exception to this would be a marvel series card, if they do them. but the main board has space for DVI or a standard SVGA connector, and the addon board could be anything. they also could sell a dualhead upgrade if they decided to release a cheaper version of the card without it (think G400). Also, it looks to be FlexATX compatable, so there is another possible market for a single head card... ever tried finding a FlexATX card thats any good?

It has holes on the PCB for a heatsink/fan combo. Doesn't mean much, but how hot does the G450 get? me thinks it would be harder to design a board that has the holes unless you plan on putting something there... and the G450 card pix i've seen don't have them... I've never used a G450 so i do not know how much heat they produce, but Matrox has a long standing reputation for cards that do not produce alot of heat.

Doesn't mean alot, i know, but how much have they added to the core, and does it warrent active cooling? The G450 was a .18 micron G400 w/ the second ramdac integrated (w/ other changes like DDR memory instead of SDR) IIRC, and from my understandings it runs cooler than a G400. Unless the things they are adding to the G550 are going to make it produce alot more heat, maybe they are planning on having a higher clock speed version of it? G550 MAX maybe eventually? This goes in with the one board fits all concept of above...

Anyways, just some random speculation... can't remember anything else off of hand, tho i'm pretty sure i had something else..

Dual DVI output on a G550 would be sweeeeeeeeettt :-)
    "And yet, after spending 20+ years trying to evolve the user interface into something better, what's the most powerful improvement Apple was able to make? They finally put a god damned shell back in." -jwz

Unless the things they are adding to the G550 are going to make it produce alot more heat, maybe they are planning on having a higher clock speed version of it? G550 MAX maybe eventually? This goes in with the one board fits all concept of above...
    well they have sort of a T&L and another texture pipeline which I would guess is pretty big overall. So you can guess the power consumption on G550 will be a lot more than G450 unless they have redesigned G550 based on G450 using clock gating, which I highly doubt!

I can asure you that it certainly doesn't make sense to make a G550 MAX , if Matrox is going to release their DX8 chip in a few months! which will be a lot more powerful and definitly higher clocks since it is a fresh design.

They will make their money from G550 to corporations and mainly based on their DUAL DVI! The Headcasting is just a cool feature and not a selling point.
    -<= Its all about point of view ....
    =>-

Comment

Working...
    X