Hi guys- Looking for a new program to run

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi guys- Looking for a new program to run

Where do you guys need me? I used to run Seti, but havent run any Distributed stuff in awhile.
    Catch me up of the different programs and such i can run now.

Thx
    (bringing 2x800pIII, 2x450@600pIII, 1xc2600@900, and 1x Duron750 to the table)

Genome@Home seems to be the popular program now. We could really use the help too. We're running in 7th place at the moment and are kind of stagnated as the 6 teams are outproducing us considerabley, with the lone exception of Team Picard who we could reach with some added crunching power You're fleet would be a great addition to the team, probably making you one of the top ten producers for our team a contribution that would be greatly appreciated by all. In case you don't know the G@H home page is here- http://gah.stanford.edu and the local faq is great for getting up and running. The other guys around here (box, Guru, Jorden, Guyver, Rattledagger, etc...) are a much greater source of knowledge than I and have been around longer. We could use some more Western influence with all these frosty Europeans lurking about
    Pete
    Last edited by rocketmanx; 20 July 2001, 19:55.

Comment

Why not try United Devices, Inc? Sure, I doubt there's a Matrox group there (I highly doubt there are any groups at all...), but they will PAY for the work your computer does and the more data you process the more you will get.

It's like seti except you get money for it.

And they're currently doing some cancer research, which I think is a lot more useful then listening to some non-existing aliens.

Oh and did I mention they give you cash and prizes for all that?
      Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Matrox has teams in 3 different projects: seti, genome and UD's THINK.
        To join matrox UD-team, goto http://members.ud.com/services/teams...E-96A534FB1BCD

Genome needs more producers, but has currently this problems:
        Doesn't use http, client isn't stable and has a tendensy to crash due to "bad" wu. Well, the wu isn't bad, it's bug(s) in the client.
        On the positive note, genome re-runs the same wu if can't connect. Every re-run gives different result. Crashes is only client-crashes, not os/machine-crashes.

THINK needs also more producers. I haven't had much time to try out the last client, but AFAIK it fixes some problems with screwed up/discarded results, and saves the status more often.

The major bugs in UD isn't solved, and is this:
        If running THINK alongside seti or genome, it gets less than 1% cpu-power if you don't set the priority to REAL-time.
        No multi-cpu-support, can only run one instance and is single-threaded.
        Can't control the application if not 800x600 or larger screen-resolution.
        Uses run-time, not cpu-time.
        The points-system is bad.
        Only NorthAmerica & UK can get prices, but you must also run the other projects.

Of course, to rack up many points, you can run THINK alongside other projects since points = machine-score * run-time, and think doesn't interfere with the other projects cpu-usage.

Comment

Working...
        X