No Gigger for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Gigger for me?

Looks like I might have to swap back the Gigger for my old 850. I've been trying to use a Slot 1 P!!! 1 GHz 100 FSB CPU on my Asus P2B-S R1.03 for the last couple weeks but it looks like it just isn't going to be stable. I keep getting random lockups under W2K and Win98 that I can't seem to eliminate. Both the Slot 1 Gigger and FC-PGA 850 run nominally at 1.70v (default voltage setting on slocket) but the Gigger keeps locking up. Funny that IE seems to lock it up pretty quickly yet I can run OE, Outlook, and Prime95 for hours without any problem. I've had it lock up with 97% system idle and voltage reported as nominal. I tried different memory timings with my Mushkin PC150 RAM to no avail. I tried the new 1014.001 BIOS (was using 1013.007) but no difference. I don't what else to try since there's very little I can control on the Slot 1 CPU. Any suggestions before I swap back for my old (and now heavily stressed) 850 and stick my buddy with this CPU which doesn't work at all on his system?
    <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Powersupply?

Reinstall windows? (strange but you never know)

Try to up the voltage a bit?

Try to force AGP 1X (yes certain hard-locks when using IE can be cured by forcing AGP 1X)

Then again it´s strange it can run prime95 for hours and lock on IE...

Comment

Originally posted by Nuno
      Powersupply?
      I wondered about this which is why I ran with the Asus Probe Voltage Monitor in view. The system always locked up with voltages looking normal yet that's a strobed reading so you don't know the exact levels at hang time. I believe I have a good PS already (LiteOn TI-800 case and PS, PS-5032 rated at 300w) but I could install a known high-quality unit.
      Reinstall windows? (strange but you never know)
      It locked up while using IE under Win98 as well. This was using a separate swappable boot disk so the OS and browser are completely independent from the W2K platform.
      Try to up the voltage a bit?
      How? This is a Slot 1 Gigger on a P2B. My buddy couldn't find a FC-PGA Gigger so he bought this one instead. Really limits some tweaking.
      Try to force AGP 1X (yes certain hard-locks when using IE can be cured by forcing AGP 1X)?)
      Hadn't tried that ... wouldn't normally try that unless it was 3D stressing that caused the hangs. I'll give it a try but I don't hold any hope. The system has hung while using WMP7, IE 5.5 and 6, OE newsreader, and Active Desktop settings. 90% of the time it hangs while browsing (many times only after idling for a short while). Its odd that browsing causes the hang so much easier than other tasks. Once I got the hang in IE under Win98 (completely separate platform), I was pretty convinced that it was the CPU and not SW.
      Last edited by xortam; 20 July 2001, 11:33.
      <TABLE BGCOLOR=Red><TR><TD><Font-weight="+1"><font COLOR=Black>The world just changed, Sep. 11, 2001</font></Font-weight></TR></TD></TABLE>

Comment

Why not try the Bios failsafes and if thats stable work things up from there. How hot is the 1giga getting??
        Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
        Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Failsafes? Do you mean the "Load BIOS Defaults" settings? I used the "Load Setup Defaults" settings and made my normal adjustments from there. What settings are you concerned about?

The CPU runs cool. Currently 29° C and MB at 27 with ambient temperature 21° C.

Comment

Thats cool enougth. Did it run stable at the fail safes?
            Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
            Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

Still not sure what you mean by "failsafes". I tried setting my BIOS to "Load BIOS Defaults" settings but it eventually hung again. I was able to browse, newsread, on-line Q3A for the last hour or so without problem but then I went back to browse and it locked up right away.

Comment

Failsafe = Safe operational settings, which in this case = default

Never ever use MBM for anything more than verifing that the voltages are present. It cannot and will not show you what the running voltage is and is unable to show the ripple current/voltage which has an even greater effect on operating stability.

Either try a known good PS or use a very high quality DMM/Oscope
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

xortam,

Is it possible that the P2B-S is supplying too much
                  voltage to the PIII 1.0G? I realize that your PIII requires
                  1.70v and in Slot1 configuration it is not adjustable.
                  Have you tried the PIII on any other Asus motherboards?
                  I had no luck at all trying a 100MHz PIII600 Slot1 on
                  my Asus P2B-L (r1.02/1013.007)...it wouldn't even boot.
                  Maybe for this particular CPU's stepping/s-spec,
                  you have to have a r1.04 PCB.

Comment

I know of somebody with a R1.03 P2B-LS running this same CPU so its possible to support it. My friend bought the Gigger for his R1.03 P2B-LS but it wouldn't even POST. That's how I landed up with the CPU ... as a swap for my flip-chip 850 which I was able to get stable by bumping up the voltage to 2.05v (ran nominally at 1.70v on my system). I assume that the Gigger is getting the proper 1.70v judging by the MB readings but Mike say's you can't count on that. I understand that the VRM chips can differ even among R1.03 boards and some can handle the lower voltages correctly. I haven't tracked down the chip and looked up the specs: Anybody know the specifics on this? All I have is a cheap, palm sized VOM so I haven't done any probing yet (How will I ever probe my dongle? .) Not sure its worth it to me to buy another PS and swap it in but I'm considering it.

Comment

Need to try a new PS

Say Mike! After exhausting various SW trials, I've decided to go ahead and try a new PS to see if I can get this system stable. Exactly what specs should I look for? Ripple #? etc. I want to head out this morning and try to pick one up. I'm in The Valley so I should be able to find one on the shelves.

P.S. I found this glossary which should help:
                      <iframe align="center" frameborder="1" height="500" scrolling="yes" src="http://www.pcpowercooling.com/products/power_supplies/terminology/index.htm" width="95%">
                      </iframe>
                      <hr>

P.P.S. Found the specs on my current PS.
                      Last edited by xortam; 8 September 2001, 08:33.

Comment

xortam, what stepping is that 1GHz cpu?
                        if its a cDO then the default voltage is 1.75V not the 1.70V for the cCO stepping!

Comment

The Gigger is a SL4KL S-spec, cC0 stepping, spec'ed at 1.70v.

Comment

I just picked up a Tubo-Cool 300 ATX PS for 86 freaking bucks, plus tax. The only good thing I can say is I've got seven days to return the PS (no restocking fees) if this doesn't work. Getting a little expensive to upgrade from the 850 CPU. TBC ...

Comment

PC Power and Cooling makes the best power suppies out there, so I'd say the money was well spent. You can use that PS on any new system anyhow. Supposedly the Turbo Cool series has a line conditioner built into the thing which will take out that ripple. Being the nutcase I am, though, I run my electricity through two Panamax surge supressors and an Adcom line conditioner before it gets to my power supply anyhow. Currently using the Turbo Cool 450 in my system, and it's been great so far.

If you want to look at a great product, the Adcom ACE surge surpressor/ line conditioners are pretty nice. Check them out here.

Comment

Working...
                              X