No announcement yet.

G400 - How many memory types are there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G400 - How many memory types are there?

I just bought a g400 w/ 32 megs of memory.

I thought that all g4's had SGRAM. Mine indicates that it is SDRAM, running @ 166.

It is an OEM card. Were OEM's SDRAM and retail SGRAM. I believe that they are running at the same clock speed? so performance should be similar.

Thanks for helping to clear this up. I can't seem to find a thing about it on the net.

Matt

SGRAM is a type of memory optimized for graphics, it might run at the same clock speed, but it´s faster. And it´s generally more overclocking-friendly.

See here:

About OEM or not, it doesn´t matter: my G400 is OEM (no box or software) and it has SGRAM in it. The normal G400´s memory runs at 166Mhz, G400 MAX´s memory runs at an higher clock speed, as well has the main graphics controller chip.
    Last edited by Alec; 20 July 2001, 07:01.

Comment

First off ... Welcome aboard !

There are three different memory configurations available for the G400 series:

G400 MAX > 5ns SGRAM = 200MHz
      G400 retail > 6ns SGRAM = 166MHz
      G400 OEM > 6ns SDRAM = 166MHz

but I found out that most of the non-MAX G400s are willing to get overclocked to MAX speeds ...

Hope that helps.
      Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
      Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
      be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
      4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
      2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
      OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
      4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
      Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
      Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
      LG BH10LS38
      LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

back in the G200 days, i believe SDRAM was more overclockable than SGRAM, dunno why though.
        GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

arbymo, U R correct. The SDRAM version of the G200 was more OC friendly... which to me was a slap in the face for those of us that bought the retail product with SGRAM (but not as much as the OGL fiasco was!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Gooooood!!

And I always thought that my G200 with SDRAM was inferior to those with SGRAM, but not any more!
            Thanks to Arbymo and Greebe for the info!!
            Cheers
            Ovi

Comment

btw. G400 OEM / Bulk versions don't necessarily contain SDRAM... I think that most of those made even contain SGRAM.. they're exactly the same as the G400 retail, but miss the fancy box and a manual. Just the card, cable and a CDROM with drivers / dvd player.

Comment

FYI Both my OEM G400's have SGRAM, one was bought as a white box card, (32Mb DH), the other is from a Compaq PC, (16Mb DH).

I guess it's luck of the draw
                When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Update on memory

Thanks to all of your for your prompt and informative replies. Wow, the people on this board are really on top of things! For the sake of clarification, I ran a check on the memory on the 32 mb 400 I bought this week.

It was Samsung K4S643232C

Listed on their site as 166 mhz 6sec SDRAM memory

BTW, I bought this @:

They had these, along with the Dualhead version for $35 & 45 US Dollars shipped to your door.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggi
                    but I found out that most of the non-MAX G400s are willing to get overclocked to MAX speeds ...
                    I am not sure if mine is SGRAM or SDRAM (up till now I didn't realise they used the different types - all I know is it's 6ns. ) but it won't go anywhere near MAX speeds.

With MGATweak I can get it to about 175/175 so the core seems capable of the higher speeds, but my memory max's out (no pun intended) at about 183Mhz.

With Powerstrip I recently got to about 135/185 and it was stable in q3.
                    <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

Mine is overclocked to 144Mhz core (don´t know the memory speed, but the rise is proportional) without any extra cooling and it never gave me a lock up.

Celeron 433@468 Mhz
                      Intel Atlanta 440LX @72Mhz FSB
                      192Mb Hyundai PC100 SDRAM
                      Soundblaster PCI 128 (Ensoniq 1370)
                      Matrox G400 16Mb SGRAM AGP@144Mhz
                      Maxtor 10Gb EIDE 7200 RPM
                      WD Caviar 4.3 Gb EIDE 5400 RPM
                      Creative 24Xmx CDROM
                      Sony Spressa 4x2x6 CD-RW (USB)
                      Iomega internal IDE ZIP100
                      Sony HMD-A200 17" Trinitron monitor w/ self-powered USB hub
                      Microsoft Intellimouse Optical (USB)
                      Microsoft Freestyle Pro (USB)
                      Epson Stylus Color 200
                      Genius desktop speakers w/ subwoofer
                      3"5 generic floppy drive

Win2K + SP2
                      DirectX 8a
                      Powerdesk 5.52

Comment

My poor MAX won't OC at all. The memory won't even do 203MHz.
                        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

SGRAM

Just had a look at the advanced display properties pages and my G400 is SGRAM. Might explain why I can't get past 185Mhz. Perhaps we should do a bit of a survey. Actually, I might do that now...
                          <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

I just checked and my memory is always at 192Mhz without extra cooling and no lockups nor artifacts, even after some hours of gaming. It´s SGRAM.

Comment

Originally posted by Maggi

G400 MAX > 5ns SGRAM = 200MHz
                              G400 retail > 6ns SGRAM = 166MHz
                              G400 OEM > 6ns SDRAM = 166MHz
                              I want to make a correction is that I ever got a retail G400 does use SDRAM, it's a 16MB SH card. how about other G400s using SDRAM, are the cards of SH or DH? I guess may be a portion of G400 SH cards use SDRAM instead of SGRAM whatever it's retail or OEM version.

Comment

Working...
                              X