Need CD-R/W Drive Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need CD-R/W Drive Suggestions

Anyone have suggestions for a Cd-R/W Drive? I have an HP CD-RW drive now and I'm pretty happy with it, but I want better drive for my new system...I need suggestions!

Scott
    Why is it called tourist season, if we can't shoot at them?

This question comes up a lot, search the archives. I vote for a Plextor Drive though.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

As long as you are not going to copy copyprotected cd's the plextor makes some of the best drives on the market!
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

My 8x Plextor supports DAO RAW
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Plextor rocks.. they get my vote too. Have them in two of my machines right now, and they are head and shoulders above anyone else as far as build quality is concerned.

Comment

Plextor has some very good drives...

Comment

Just thought I'd jump out naked from behind a bush, and shout: PLEXTOR!
              Why would I send my pants to New Jersey?

Comment

Even though it's getting boring: Plextor gets my vote, too. Sometimes a bit pricey, but worth it.
                Stay away from Yamaha!
                But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                My System
                2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                German ATI-forum

Comment

Mitsumi

Reliable and Cheap

(Ok.. maybe slow though.. )
                  AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                  AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                  Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                  Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Definitely Plextor. Fast and reliable drives. Well, the first Plextor I got died in a week, but the second one has been rock solid ever since the day I got it. It has never given me any problems.

Comment

while plextor is an excellent drive, others like tdk already have a x24 write speed drive available while plextor's best is only x16 at present!

Comment

I choose Plextor.

Asking Guru, what is the problem with copy protected disks, I have never had a disk that has not been copyable yet. (plextor 4/2/20).

note: at work all software on any media is backed up and stored

breezer
                        Everything I say is true apart from that which is not

Comment

Originally posted by cbman
                          Mitsumi

Reliable and Cheap

(Ok.. maybe slow though.. )
                          Oh dear, Mitsumi....
                          I had two Mitsumi CD-Rom drives die early on me (only CD-ROM, can't really speak for CD-R / RW). They were cheap but I kind of like hardware that actually works for more than half a year. BTW, this was the ONLY piece of hardware that died early on me since I can remember - everything else works O.K until now, even my old Celly300A@450 or ALL my old Amiga parts.
                          NEVER got any Mitsumi since and never had a real HW problem since....

P.S.: If you want to go the cheap way, get a TEAC. Very reliable (esp. for their price), fast and with BurnProof. If you have the money, get a Plextor though.
                          Last edited by Indiana; 20 July 2001, 18:40.
                          But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                          My System
                          2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                          German ATI-forum

Comment

The only piece of Hardware that has actually kicked the bucket on me was the LS-120 Drive I had in my computer... it worked for 3 years and then just stopped reading and writing.

Oh I also just remembered... a keyboard destroyed by mountain dew... I shoulda sued their ass...
                            AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                            AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                            Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                            Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

What about a Teac drive? I have seen some of these with really nice prices right about now... are they any good? I have a regular Teac CD-ROM almost for a year now and it refuses to die on me ignoring the constant abuse (like my previous Philips and Samsung drives did) and reads practically anything. Are their CD writers the same?
                              Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Working...
                              X