Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Napster is back!

Read all about it here!
    According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

But will anyone still be using it?

Comment

No.
      The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
      If only life were as easy as you
      I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
      If only life were as easy as you
      I would still get screwed

Comment

Trying to shut Napster down was the RIAA's mistake. If they had just started contract talks they could have made it the music industry's bitch just like everything else. But now people got used to looking online for music, and then they were chased to multiple, better replacements for Napster.
        The legal judegements will still be important, but Napster as a company has already served its purpose, and can be discarded now.
        Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Yeah, it would have been rather simple to make Napster a subscription-based service. Perhaps when you join you have to pay for some "credits", and you use these credits to "pay" for the songs you download.

But the problem with that is, pay for the credits, download the songs you want, pass them on to your mates in return for songs they paid to download...

But I guess there's nothing different between that and if I went into a shop, bought a cd, and then let all my friends borrow it so they could rip the songs off it. At least with downloadable mp3's theres no cost of making cd's so the record companies could increase their profit margins...

Oh well, I'm not really worried if Napster is shut down again or not - I've survived without Napster for the past few months. Come to think of it, I survived 23 years before I discovered Napster.
          <i>Shampoo is better! I go on first and clean the hair!</i>

Athlon 700, K7V, 192Mb RAM, 32Mb G400 DH (v5.52), SBLive!, 26.4GB HDD, Win2k Pro, Actima 8xDVD, LG 32x4x4x CD-RW, CTX VL950T 19"

Comment

Yay

Comment

Who needs Napster.. we got Usenet.

Comment

common sense seems to be making a comeback with that ruling!

Comment

Napster is dead...long live Morpheus

I downloaded Morpheus a couple of days ago, and I'm impressed.
                  Multi-threaded, break and resume downloads, and it doenst seem to work properly if you try to be a llama and configure your firewall not to let outbound connections in
                  The search doesnt seem as good as Napsters, but then again it doesnt just do MP3s.
                  I've downloaded 3 Weird Al videos (Amish Paradise of course) and Lenny Kravitz's "Are you gonna go my way?". (Best rock video ever!)

Damn good, pity there are only about 500,000 users at the moment.
                  EDIT: I suppose the URL for it would help wouldnt it?
                  Athlon XP-64/3200, 1gb PC3200, 512mb Radeon X1950Pro AGP, Dell 2005fwp, Logitech G5, IBM model M.

Comment

Working...
                  X