DirectX9.0

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectX9.0

This is kind of funny to talk abou DX9 when Matrox DX8 chip is not in the market yet! but I have heard that Microsoft has started talks with NVDA , ATI and Matrox about DX9 which is under developement. Anyone knows of any details of what exactly is going to be in DX9 or any improvements...
    -<= Its all about point of view ....
    =>-

Direct3D 9 details emerge -theinquirer
    July 14, 2001

Here is what Microsoft as well as hardware vendors consider to be inside DirectX 9 for graphics.

The most important is the higher-level programmable shader language. They are mainly concentrating on how this will help vendors to develop faster for numerous hardware configurations.

Pixel shader will get some new instructions.

The surprising part for me was that they will consider new functionality features and one of the first is higher colour depth support. Yes I smell 64 bit colour.

64 bit colour would have really lot of combinations of colours measurable in billions and would need beastly hardware to calculate it in future games.

NURBS (Non Uniform Relational B Splines ) inside, since it is the only possible solution for future geometry in games. So, DirectX 9 should bring us this great feature which is really hard to calculate but does not need so much bandwidth.

The specification of DirectX 9 will be considered in Meltdown 2001 during the coming week, in Seattle.

SOURCE: theinquirer.net

found here and this is the link to the inquirer's snippet http://213.219.40.69/14070103.htm
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
    Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
    be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
    4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
    2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
    OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
    4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
    Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
    Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
    LG BH10LS38
    LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

64bit??? why???

Can someone explain the need for 64bit colour depth? I've seen a few news items in the last week talking about 64bit colour depth, and I fail to see the point.

A long time ago I remember reading a paper saying that humans can tell around 10 to 15 million colours apart - so in theory 24 bit colour (16+ million colours) should be more than enough - as I understood it, 32bit colour (4+ milliard/'american billion' colours) was used because 32bit chunks fit nicely down data buses and was easier to deal with on-chip, not because a human could tell the difference. 64bit would give something like 18+ million-billion/'not sure in american notation' colours, and this seems like pretty heavy overkill!

So why are they going to use such a memory, bandwidth and processor intensive system if the human visual system can't use it? Maybe its a marketoid thing - 'our new chip can do 64bit colour' which obviously HAS to be better than 32bit?!?!?

Regards,

Lemmin

Comment

Hi Lemmin,

have a look into this thread, scroll down to my first reply, read carefully and have a close look at the picture I posted.

Cheers,
        Maggi

PS: 32 bits per pixel (bpp) is usually meaning 24bpp color information plus 8bpp transparency information (aka alpha channel), so 64bpp would be 16bits per channel or in ither words 48bpp color plus 16bpp alpha.

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
        Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
        LG BH10LS38
        LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

found some more interesting stuff about MS DirectX Meltdown 2001 ...

from their agenda

CONFERENCE AGENDA
          DAY ONE - July 16

3:45 - 4:45pm Session 5:
          Displacement Maps As A New Geometric Primitive
          Speaker: Juan Guadardo
          and from their sessions and abstracts

Displacement Maps As A New Geometric Primitive
          Juan Guardado - Matrox

Advanced rendering algorithms require both high geometry counts and intensive pixel processing, and while the graphics engines are getting more powerful, the PC bus architecture is not keeping up. The displacement mapping technique presented here allows for high geometric compression of detailed meshes, while providing information to the pixel engine for per-pixel lighting effects. Developers will learn how to visualize and use displacement maps effectively by providing them with a detailed description of how the algorithm works. Additionally, they will understand what steps the artists must take to produce correct displacement maps. There will be demonstrations of the algorithm along with a brief review of content creation issues.
          Interesting to see that Matrox is still talking about displacement mapping, since it appeared in the rumuor mill quite some time ago ...
          Last edited by Maggi; 20 July 2001, 05:12.

OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
          LG BH10LS38
          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

I think have matrox have a good handle on the direction of 3d rendering. Bump mapping is a a techique for representing a fine 3 surface, it is a real representation of 3d texture. Not something that is made to look like a surface ...texturing tricks.

Displacement mapping is in the same vein, its a real techique for representing fine 3d detail (bit like peturbation theory).

They know what they are doing, all the technologies they develop aren't throw away (geforce T&L) technology.

The 550 headcasting is an exploration of complex surface rendering. They are going to bolt this stuff onto some pretty wicked peice of hardware in the future.

your vertex/pixel shaders are smoothing techs, to make somthing look better. Displacement mapping is actually providing a discrete(acurate) representaion of complex surface. its a shit load better technolgy to use in 3d cad systems(and everthing else)

as to 64 bit rendering, 8bits for each red green and blue(more probaly), add some alpha rendering fields and a few other effects planes and you will use up those 64bits quite quickly....

Well thats what my alchol addled brain thinks

Comment

Toms Hardware has a little bit on Direct X 9 here,

Heres a snippet:

There should be support for Displacement Mapping. More on that in my next article in the section on Matrox (they gave a pretty a in-depth presentation on displacement mapping).

hehe.

Comment

matrox and dx 9

I figure that matrox has a better chance of making a big splash with dx 9 than with dx 8.

first of all their big feature displacement mapping will be in there, probably. plus, nvidia has all the hype today. just look at ati. they anounce dx 8 stuff and it's basicaly just nvidias stuff in ati form.

nvidias got all the bases covered with dx 8, and since matrox has said how little they need the 3d gamers market, they will wait until they can make a big splash with a couple new features.

the matrox guy said "3d for the masses" so they might release a buget card bassed on the g550, but it probably won't have anything nvidia doesn't have.

from what i've read in these forums, it feels like matrox might release a card this fall, but i don't think this will be matrox's return to high end 3d, just the buget card i mentioned above.

anyone think these perdictions are valid?

Comment

Working...
                X