PDA

View Full Version : matrox end run?

cjolley
18th July 2001, 12:59
Remember the old Carmak quote about Matrox having solved the bandwidth problem?
I have no heard anything about it in a long time.
I wonder if this has anything to do with it.
http://www.nationalpost.com/search/story.html?f=/stories/20010716/613207.html&qs=sgdl
chuck

Jorden
18th July 2001, 13:09
Computers make pictures using geometry most people learned in Grade 10.

Well, I didn't... I had geometry the old way, but I never heard of a computer by then (and sometimes wish I never heard of computers altogether, but that's something else ;))

SGDL has to patent its technology first. After four years in existence and six months selling products on the market, it has yet to do that.

shock...

Jord.

cjolley
18th July 2001, 13:29
Ah yes, but note the address..

5115 de Gaspé Ave., Suite 650
Montreal, Quebec, H2T 3B7
Canada

SmellYfeeT
18th July 2001, 18:50
Interesting ;)
I read an article similar to this a while ago explaining a method to perform graphical rotation by using custom primitives like square or circle or a hexagon rather than a triangle!! It didn't really make sense to me, but it was trying to prove that for certain computer generated graphics 3d images, using custom primitive speeds up transform of the image and ease perspective calculations! However, they noted such system are easy to implement in software but not realistic in hardware, because they need huge amount of cache for some reason!
Also, I believe no graphics company will do such a redesign at this time. There system will have no standard and will take for ever to design to be able to compete with hi-endgraphics chips. But I am sure that there are people researching this :D

Regarding the bandwidth problem, there are a few papers published in IEEE journals that describe a few solutions but the interesting part is that, there is NO easy solution. So any solution will add a great deal of complexity and cost to the overall system.

Maggi
19th July 2001, 06:06
interesting ...

rumour spreads that DX9 will come with NURBS, so there could be a relation.

Cheers,
Maggi

Jorden
19th July 2001, 10:01
NURBS?

New Ugly Redraw Behind Screens?

Maggi
19th July 2001, 10:03
:D LMAO :D

Non Uniform Relational B Splines :rolleyes:

curves, not polygons ... :)

Jorden