Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capturing direct to MPEG in MSP6?

Hi,

I have some time on my hand and wanted to toy around with capturing direct to MPEG. After reading posts on Matrox's forum about it, I decided to give it a go.

After loading up MSP6's capture tool, I set the format to 'Matrox YUY2.' When I go to the compression section, there is no option for MPEG. Then, I remembered there was project settings for 'avi' or 'mpeg.' However, I could not find it.

I know this has to be something simple, but what am I missing? I have the latest patch along with the DVD Plug-in.

Also, is anyone else having choppy captures with the G400-TV (Win2K+latest vid tools) in AVI_IO? For some reason, I can not turn off overlay. When I go to record, overlay is always on. Based on experience with the WinTV, having Preview and Overlay on is the #1 issue for choppy/sloppy caps.

The MSP capture (Matrox YUY2 + PIC MJPEG) is good, but does not seem to allow capture of video only (no audio). Oddly enough, the captures I get playback alright on the monitor. The same playback on TV looks terrible. There are lots of missing lines and such. This never happens when encoding the same video with the WinTV.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks
    Last edited by AndrewDV; 18 July 2001, 04:40.

In MSP 6 capture utility you set mpeg mode by choosing WDM MPEG or VfW MPEG as appropiate for your capture car's capture driver class under the "change capture driver" menu.

VfW worked for me with a Hauppauge WinTV but the quality is pretty much "why bother" unless you also have the DVD update which ahs a new supposedly much improved Ligos engine.

For me the quality of TMPGEnc is worth it, the quality of direct MPEG wasn't worth it to me despite the convience.

--wally.

Comment

In order to get decent quality captures with the preset mpeg settings (such as VCD) you must edit the CapMPTyp.ini file in the Ulead MediaStudio Pro 6.0\Ulead.dat\ folder and change the performance number for the capture setting in question. (This also works in Video Studio 5.) For some reason it is locked at 3 in the program's dialog boxes. Ulead must assume we all have 300mhz machines. I have a 900 and I crank the quality up to 15(maximum) on VCD captures and get good quality with few dropped frames. The quality is about as good as Tsunami at default settings. Not as good as Tsunami at slowest settings, but it doesn't take hours either.

To record without audio go to file->preferences and check the box that says "Display capture options before capturing." Then press record and another box pops up, uncheck "Capture audio" which is near the bottom. You can now go back to file->preferences and uncheck the previous box if you want immediate capturing.

I have been unable to get 480x480 mpeg capturing to work with either program yet however. The latest update to VS5, which I had heard added this capturing mode, does no such thing, it merely adds SVCD 480x480 project presets, you still must capture at another resolution and render. I don't have the DVD plugin, maybe that's what makes the difference.

Comment

I've been searching for the 480 x 480 direct capture option, but haven't yet found it. I have a pre-release copy of MediaStudio Pro 6.5.

Comment

Working...
        X