Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• About to buy...

Hi all,

I'm about to order an 8K7A+/CPU and RAM. I'm thinking of getting a 1.2Ghz T-bird and am just wondering - do I want a 100(200)Mhz FSB version so that I can O/C it to 133(266)Mhz? Or do I go for the 133(266)Mhz version and O/C it to (hopefully) 150(300)Mhz?

The RAM will most probably be CAS2.5 Corsair or Micron DDR.

I don't have experience with the 1.2Ghz T-Bird, but if I were going to buy one, I'd probably look for the 100(200) Mhz fsb version, since the 133(266)Mhz fsb won't tax other peripherals and cards (the busses will be in spec or close to it), while I can tell you from experience that the 150Mhz overclock DOES tax other components (most expecially some video cards).

Anyhow, good luck with whatever you get SteveC, and let us know how it goes.
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

Changing my mind again I think I'll get the 1.33Ghz version. Then try to do what you've done.

the Epox board has a 1/5 PCI divider as of the latest BIOS too

Comment

Sounds like a good choice, especially since you're obviously looking to overclock it some (why I bought mine, hehe). Make sure to look for the Crucial PC2100 DDR Ram. It's the most recommended I've seen, and appears to live up to the hype. (Not saying that some others aren't as good, but this brand has been well-tested with this setup)
        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
        Gainward Ti4600
        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I never said what I ended up getting

I ended up only getting a 1Ghz AXIA 'K' cos I could get it from my local computer shop on a 'trial' run and for a good price. Anyway, it runs at 1.33Ghz default voltages, bumping them up a bit, and using a good HSF (which I haven't really got - I've made one up out of an old globalwin heatsink, an 80mm fan, and 2 elastic bands - just until I get my Zalman CNPS3100 ) gets me to 1.4Ghz. Maybe more when I get a proper cooling system!

Comment

My machine's still kicking along. And I haven't found anything that really demands more than my box can put out. In a few weeks/months, after the Palomino comes out, I'll think again. Maybe the SiS chipset will be cool. I'll just build a second box, methinks. Besides, I have no idea what I'd do as far as video cards.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I would do the same here wombat... I would end up with my "wifenapped system" and the wifey would be playing neopets and babyz and heroes 3 and the sims with all the expansion packs on a hot high end system...

Married life has its quirks as I am finding out...
              AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
              AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
              Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
              Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Working...
              X