Video Cameras

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video Cameras

I've read that when digital video cameras advertise 520 lines of resolution it is worthless because TV only displays 480 lines. I work with computer display projectors set at 1024 x 768. So, I figure the more lines the better. Am I missing something obvious? Is there a "best" video format for this kind of work? Is Straight Digital Video better than D8? I've read some threads on this but have not found a clear answer. Also, is there any rule of thumb on single CCD quality verses pixel size? I've read that this is way over hyped. Thanks for any insight!

Sorry, but you miss the point...the 520 lines are related to the horizontal resolution and not the raster scan lines.

All the current digital formats (I'm talking about the usual ones: DV, Digital8, DVCam, DVCPRO25) are members of the same family, i.e. component recording, intraframe compression(5:1) @ around 25Mbit/sec., 2 channels of audio, uncompressed, so you should expect roughly the same performance.

Be careful on the camera side:- 3CCD, which is mandatory
    - at least 1/3" in size
    - quality lenses

The remaining are goodies: weight, battery life, accessories, interchangeable lens and so on...

Bogie

Comment

Given that DV is 720 pixels horizonatlly and a "TV line" counts the dark and the light as two lines 520 lines would need 520 pixels but since you can't count on the lines landing on the pixel centers so you need 3 pixels per line pair to get generally usable resolution so to get a realistic 520 lines one would need 780 pixels. Not too far form reality compared to most marketing claims these days.

Any claims of "resolution" is suspect without full disclosure of how it was measured -- sub-pixel sized shits of the line pattern relative to the CCD until it is "resolved" can lead to some really bogus numbers.

--wally.

Comment

-- sub-pixel sized shits of the line pattern relative to the CCD until it is "resolved" can lead to some really bogus numbers.
        Geez Wally, I never really thought of it that way before!

Comment

Thanks for the information. D8 has a little better price than DV and I do not care much about size & weight. 3 CCD is a bit expensive but I'll look into this some more.

As for "Given that DV is 720 pixels horizonatlly and a "TV line" counts the dark and the light as two lines 520 lines would need 520 pixels but since you can't count on the lines landing on the pixel centers so you need 3 pixels per line pair to get generally usable resolution so to get a realistic 520 lines one would need 780 pixels." This went over my head but I'm going to do some research.

Thank you for the help.

Comment

Working...
          X