Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• maximum colour depth for g400max?

can it handle more then 32bit?

No chip can handle more than that for the moment.

Comment

thx

Comment

What You'd like to to with more?
        Even in 32bit mode, one byte is waisted...
        // Just curious.

Comment

just wondering about this http://members.aol.com/axcel216/newtip19.htm#96BVR

Comment

Novdid is wrong on this point.

Yes, there are a couple video systems out there for more than 32-bit color. However, these are in no way standard. I only know of them because I worked in medical imaging for a little while. I bet less than 0.1% of the video cards out there are designed for more then 32bpp. These cards cost more than your entire computer, and are not gaming machines.
            Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Right, what is this all about?
              By default, Windows 9x/2000 only allows for 32-bit color, which translates into approximately 32 bits per pixel. This may be OK if you have a standard PCI/AGP video card, but if you have a more powerful (and expensive) one, you may not be taking full advantage of its capabilities.
              Hmm, now that is unusual...

P.
              Meet Jasmine.
              flickr.com/photos/pace3000

Comment

I worked on a system that did 40-bit grayscale. It was running at 2500x2000, but the monitor could do any res. because it was a constant phosphor model, with a hell of a setup.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

The person who posted that "tip" was either a complete moron or had a perverse sense of humor...

(Actually, it looks to have been written in all seriousness, so the former must be true.)

Comment

I know there are chips that can do more than 32bit, but I was limiting myself to the world of normal users.

Comment

What's the point behind more than 8x8x8 (24 bit) color for displays? I understand why you'd want more for image processing, and for more accurate internal representation in the computer/videocard, but once it's on the monitor you arn't gonna notice the difference between 256 or a billion shades per R, G, and/or B.

Comment

Well, some people can notice the difference. Not that I claim to be one of those people. But a radiologist, for example, can see tons of stuff. They have eyes that can pick up hairline fractures in a rib cage, or signs of malignant growth.

Oh, and cards run 32bpp because it's a power of two, and easier to address than 24bpp.

Comment

8bit per channel is not always sufficient

Hi Guys'n'Girls,

it all depends on the prupose you have to serve, ie. usually 8bit per color channel are enough, but under certain circumstance it is not.

Just to rephrase it:
                          8 bit per color channel equals in 256 steps/shades of luminosity for each basic color (red, green & blue). In black and white pictures, you only have 256 different shades.

I made an explaining picture in grey scale to emphasize the effect of banding that will occur in the moment that your picture dimensions exceed the amount of possible shades between your two chosen colors for that above mentioned fade.
                          Ususally those bandings get compensated by use of pixel dithering, which simply 'disorders' some pixels along those borders of banding and will give the subjective impression of a smooth fade.

My example has dithering deactivated, so that you can clearly see the different stages of luminosity and further I took the middle part and scaled it up to emphasize the lack of colordepth in 8bits per color channel.

Hope that clears a few misunderstandings ...

Cheers,
                          Maggi

PS: I hope that attachment thingy works out ...
                          Attached Files
                          Despite my nickname causing confusion, I am not female ...

ASRock Fatal1ty X79 Professional
                          Intel Core i7-3930K@4.3GHz
                          be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 2
                          4x 8GB G.Skill TridentX PC3-19200U@CR1
                          2x MSI N670GTX PE OC (SLI)
                          OCZ Vertex 4 256GB
                          4x2TB Seagate Barracuda Green 5900.3 (2x4TB RAID0)
                          Super Flower Golden Green Modular 800W
                          Nanoxia Deep Silence 1
                          LG BH10LS38
                          LG DM2752D 27" 3D

Comment

good example Maggi
                            GigaByte 6BXC, celeron300A@450, 128 Ram, G200 8M SD

Comment

I didn't belive you could see more than 256 shades of grey, and when I saw that picture of yours I had to do a detail analysis with my Amiga emulator... I'm rather impressed to say the least. I guess these forums are more educational than I thought! What software did you make that spread with anyways? If you could, make one with rgb and cmy spreads in the same fashion, it'd be interesting to see if we can see colors as well as greyscale.

Comment

Working...
                              X