DVDPLAY.EXE in WinMe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DVDPLAY.EXE in WinMe

there's this program in c:\windows, but when I try to run it, it says I need soft or hardware dvd decoder - where can I get a freeware software dvd decoder that will make this program work?

I think that you're gonna need to post some more details here. What hardware do you have, especially in the video arena ?

Chris
    (T_I)

Comment

I'm _still_ using the G200 Marvel am quite happy with everything except the 3D performance (well it is only Matrox

I've also got the Ligos Mpeg2 "plugin" for win Media Player (6.4) that came with the Ligos LSX Mpeg Encoder 3 - and it works fine for SVCD vids I downloaded off the net - http://josh.swoca.net/vision/website/main_frame.htm - but using media player to play the svcd vids it won't stretch in fullscreen mode, but using another player (Jiao's VCD Player v4.01) it works fine.

Time to upgrade on my P3-450, but it's still fast
      enough to play the SVCD vids (in 1024x768 32bit res)

so is there anyway to get this dvdplay.exe to work? I haven't got a dvd drive, so any software solution would be great

Comment

I think that dvdplay.exe is just a front-end for the software or hardware DVD decoding software (at least it is in Win2K). Technically it should use the MPEG-2 decoder that you have but perhaps it is looking for a specific one.

Can you play VOB files on your computer? If you can it could be that DVDplay just doesn't like the decoder. But you haven't really lost anything, its not anymore usefull than Media Player, unless you are playing DVD movies with menus and such.

Hope this helps (a little at least).

dsp
        1.8GHz PIV (Northwood) @ 2.5GHz
        512MB Corsair PC2700 @ 2-2-2 1T
        MSI 845PE FISR
        8.4GB Quantum CR
        40GB Maxtor 5400
        MSI 40X12X48
        Coolerguys Windtunnel IV
        SB Audigy
        Parhelia (210/600)
        19" Dell P991
        Win2kPro
        Intel Gigabit Network

Comment

the svcd files are .m2v - .m2v and .vob are mpeg2 files only with different dimensions, right? I haven't got any .vob files to test, but .m2v files plays fine, on a P3-450 it still got room to spare

it's just that I always assumed that in mpeg decoders, all vers from different program are standardised, where it's only the encoders that have different flavours - a few years ago I tried the Xing Mpeg Player and it was horrible - does this apply today? is there a standard dvd-decoder in the near future to be added to the mpeg1 decoder? oh is there some licensing issues with mpeg2 decoders?

the Ligos mpeg2 plugin looks to be playing the svcd vids ok... it'll surely look smoother when it's tv-out. I hear good things about PowerDVD and WinDVD (?) but am not interested to buy them just for a few vids

I guess it's not that important, I'm only asking about this dvdplay.exe cos its frontend looks kinda nice thanks

Comment

Working...
          X