Sound Card slows down winmodem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sound Card slows down winmodem

I have been using an ISA sound card and a PCI PC Tel winmodem and have been connecting at 50K. Well I got a CD writer and so because my ISA sound card does not have an aux input, I pulled out an Aureal SQ1500 PCI sound card which I had lying around. Well my connection speed immediately droppe to 36K. Anyone ever experienced this? Of course my trusty old ISA card has been pulled out of retirement but unfortunately I have no audio from my CD writer.

Winmodems run in software, which means they use the CPU a lot compared to hardware modems.

Most older audio cards also use the CPU to do many functions, and PCI ones are the worst at this. Just be lucky you don't have a SoundBlaster Live!. It's a huge bus hog.

As such the problem is that the cards are contending for resources. This slows both down.

This can be solved by going for a hardware modem or by using one of the newer sound cards that use an onboard DSP instead of the CPU to do their work...or both.

Unfortunately there are only a few DSP audio cards right now. The Turtle Beach Santa Cruz is one.

Dr. Mordrid
    Dr. Mordrid
    ----------------------------
    An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Two different forums, two different persons, same answer. Well its quite obvious after its explained. Now there is only one more question. Which hardware modem do you reccomend?

DJ

Comment

I couldn't begin to answer that from experience since I haven't used a dialup modem in a very long time. I'm using a cable ISP & modem.

Also, so many modems are Winmodems that hardware ones are getting hard to find. I'd probably start with USR/3COM. This one looks likd a good bet;

Quote:

"With basic processing functions built into the modem itself...."

Dr. Mordrid
        Last edited by Dr Mordrid; 10 July 2001, 21:29.
        Dr. Mordrid

Comment

DO NOT CROSS POST!

Thread was deleted from it's appropriate forum (GH/S) because of this.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Greebe

I did really not know that cross posting was forbidden. I just thought that I would get more persons to make suggestions and recommendations by doing so. Also since my primary thing is video editing, I thought it best to hear from both sides. Again, my apologies for the mixup.

DJ

Comment

Thanks Doc. BTW which would be better, spending $80.00 on a hardware modem or on a more powerful CPU.

DJ
              Last edited by DJ; 11 July 2001, 05:56.

Comment

Grebe

I believe you are being unduly sensitive about cross-posting and what should go where. Contextually, dj was perfectly right to post in both places and both threads should have been permitted to continue.

Please remember that not everyone looks in all the MURC forums, as they have different interests and questions such as this may well be relevant in a plurality of applications. Furthermore, taken in context, the answer may well be different for different forums. How often do we have to make configuration compromises so that we can get two applications to limp along together, rather than exclusively one or the other?
                Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

A faster CPU can help, but not as cost effectively as a hardware modem.

In fact, before spending money on anything you should try creating a user profile just for editing with the modem & other useless devices disabled. IF this works then you've fixed it for free.

Dr. Mordrid
                  Dr. Mordrid

Comment

Actually I surf with win98 and edit with win2k so thats not a problem. I was just thinking that maybe a faster processor would be better for overall performance.

DJ

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
                      DO NOT CROSS POST!

Thread was deleted from it's appropriate forum (GH/S) because of this.
                      Hang on Buddy, what is this ? Are you the Data Police or something ? Are we all playing to YOUR rules ? I think not ! I respect that you're a MURC administrator, but since I don't come crawling over your forum, have the respect to leave mine alone unless you see something that is SERIOUS.

Chris
                      (This_Idiot)

Comment

OK Chris, then from now on, since you do not do anything or rarely to go out of your way to help the effort of any forum outside of your own, I'll do the same for you. ie FUT

Here's what I was going to post lastnight in GH/S before losing net acess...

This thread is now locked even tho this forum is the proper place for it. Take this into concideration...

Because Chris, This_Idiot (tonge'n cheek) moderator of Desktop Video forum doesn't control posts within said forum... so over there just about anything goes. If I attempt to wake up his congragation to the fact that there are more appropriate MURC forums elsewhere (and all others are actively moderated), it ends up being a pathetic flame war. (Forest from the Tree(less peeps))

People stuck in the mud, will remain stuck in the mud until acted upon.

Unless he wants all GH/S forum threads to be dumped to DV, now that I can do!

(Greebe is a bit pieved cause many have complained about this trivial cross post and his casual observation of the whole jist of things, his efforts appear to be a complete waste of time and energy.)

Oh well life goes on
                        If you don't like that, Oh well... flame away, I could care less.

(nice to see you actually replied tho!)

@DJ, your cool
                        Last edited by Greebe; 12 July 2001, 01:34.
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

Comment

@Brian, I don't think so!

All forums moderated by Kruzin and Joel and agreed upon by Ant are done in the same manner as I do only because of the problems we've had in the past.

Just go and read all the times we've moved, edited, deleted or scolded. There are hundreds of occurances.

Comment

Whoa, lets just simmer down here people...

Brian made some valid points in his post above in that
                            most people visiting the desktop video forum are
                            predominantly interested in video editing hardware,
                            software and related issues. Not all will actively or
                            regularly wish to visit other forums, just as many
                            people who visit the General Hardware & Software forum
                            will not visit Desktop Video.

For those visiting either forum it does not take to
                            much nous to realise that there are other forums
                            hosted on the same site and as such, if people want to
                            visit them they will.

I regularly peruse both forums and have not noticed
                            much, if any, cross posting between these two forums.
                            I aggree that in general cross posting is not a great
                            thing but it happens so little that I think a little
                            slack could be cut now and again

The optimum solution in this instance probably would
                            have been for DJ to post in both forums but to invite
                            people to reply to just one of the posts.

Greebe:
                            As for the comments about Chris not doing anything,
                            they were out of order. Chris has stepped in many a
                            time on threads where the content was at or over the
                            edge. In addition everybody puts in the time and
                            effort they can afford to put in with all their other
                            commitments, no exceptions here!

just my tuppence worth

- Simon

Comment

Greebe

I think you a owe Chris a BIG apology for your really offensive remarks

So far, it would appear you are in a minority of one. What you do in your forum is your affair but I think cross-moderating (or attempting to do so) is a more heinous sin than cross-posting. However, if you say 20 aves and 20 pater nosters, ego te absolvo
                              Brian (the devil incarnate)

Comment

Working...
                              X