Question about NForce...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about NForce...

According to this site it will have a single or dual 64-bit memory busses (depending on the model).

Umm.... isn't this what everyone's been bitching about on the G550??

amish
    Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

It lookes that way, but this article is talking about the FSB bandwidth. You want plenty more than this for the video card to talk to its own memory.
    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

I'd like A bord from MSI with this chipset and integrated RAID!

To replace the K7T Turbo-R I got now!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Not to play Devil's Advocate here for no reason, but...

Are we all forgetting that this chipset is being made by nVidia?

Do you really want new MOTHERBOARD drivers 3 times a week, that break critical features of the board while "fixing" other, non-essential things?

And we all KNOW how good nVidia's display quality is. That leads us to believe that the PCI slots or some such on their motherboards will have flaky output. GREAT. Just what we need.

- Gurm
        The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
        If only life were as easy as you
        I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
        If only life were as easy as you
        I would still get screwed

Comment

More than frequent driver updates (weekly 4-in-1 detonators), I would be concerned about the overral compatibility about what you drop on the AGP slot...

But that dual-DDR sdram bus feature is really interesting. Why can´t AMD release something like a 770 chipset with support for something like that (+ improved palomino support)? AMD chipsets are the best for AMD cpu´s. The weakest spot on AMD systems always has been the chipset. AMD has enough proof already they can´t trust 3rd party chipset makers to support their cpu´s. Heck, they were thinking about phasing out the 760 after the KT266, but they couldn´t because it wasn´t delivering as promised.

I haven´t nothing against 3rd party chipsets (more competition the better) but I think AMD should have leard the lesson for now.

Comment

Don't forget the SIS 735, it is looking to be a kickass board, cheap reliable and fast

But as much as I hate to say it, if nforce lives up to the hype it will be the DDR board I will be buying next.

what I can't work out is ...if it twin bank Why does it have 3 slots not 2 or 4.
            if you fill the all three slots do you lose twinbanking advantage?

PS there are rumors that Nvidia is making an Xbox clone on the quiet

Comment

It will work with only one module too. And don't forget the crossbar memory controller either, it will increase bandwidth performance and decrease latency.

I'm ranting here, something I never thought I would do about a Nvidia product.

This thing will surely make the SIS look like a pale little sidekick. This IS the next chipset I will buy, even if it costs more than the others ( I get a kickass soundcard on the board).

Comment

I think the jury is still out on this one, guys. The benefits of nForce are really just from AMD's HyperTransport Technology. This should make bus performance amazingly good, even for a company that's never made a chipset before. I too am leery of new chipsets in general and nVidia being a newcomer in the field, I don't think I'll be buying their first one. In real world day-to-day operation, we will see if it lives up to the hype or is just a very fast buggy chipset. I'm sure we will see plenty of reviews on the thing.

The 760MP was almost certainly the last AMD chipset which will not use HyperTransport, though. I would trust them to do much better than nVidia with their first HT chipset, so I will probably wait and give that one a look.

I agree that AMD needs to be in the chipset business all the way. I wrote several posts to the Motley Fool AMD board about how crucial chipsets are to AMD's business success and growth. Geez, the reason AMD has had trouble being accepted all along was their dependence on VIA chipsets. The business market wouldn't touch them because "AMD systems are unreliable" Nooo... systems running on VIA chipsets are unreliable. Tell them that though.. They don't know anything about chipsets and motherboards. They just know it's an AMD system. It is such a waste of R&D to go out and make the best chipset your processors can run on, and then not produce it wholeheartedly. When I build an Athlon system, it's gotta be an AMD chipset board.

Comment

Working...
                X