Can someone explain this to me....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain this to me....

I was reading my ISP service contract.... found 2-3 points that i should'nt be doing but i also found something i'm not too sure about if i understand it right.... it say's :

--------

4.10 Number of Computers. The customer shall not connect a greater number of computers to the Equipment than the number provided for in the Specifications. Unless Vidéotron’s prior written authorization has been obtained, no additional plugs or connections shall be installed or made by anyone whomsoever other than Vidéotron or its authorized representatives.

--------

Do u think that this means that i'm not allowed to use my ISP with more than 1 comp. since the specs say's so?

Spazm
    P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

it depends, because technologies are changing....and technically speaking if your MAIN PC is connected to the service, there isnt anything stating that the connection cant be shared does it?
    Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Well..... technically speaking no.... but they do say that if u use more than one computer you'll have to ask 'em for the autorisation.... and pay for it. Damn the more i read that contract the more i dislike my ISP.... they're just taking crazy right in there.

spazm
      P3-667@810 retail, Asus CUSL2-C, 2*128 mb PC-133(generic), G400DH 16mb, SBLive value, HollyWood+, 1*Realtek 8029(AS) and 1*Realtek 8039C, Quantum 30g, Pioneer DVD-115f

Comment

Most, if not all, ISP's have a clause like that. They don't want you to subcontract internet service, that's their main goal. Don't sweat it. Stick behind a firewall/router and you will be golden.

Rags

Comment

Videotron doesn't want 1 person getting a connection and sharing it in an apartment building or the like. Many ISP's have had to implement such terms because of abuses.

DirectPC had todo the same as many out in the rural areas whom had no other access would cheerfully hookup their neighbours ie becoming a mini ISP. This caused much problems as it greatly exceeded what was concidered a normal users bandwidth.

So the bottem line is you get what you pay for. If you don't like it, then get another ISP or get a business account. Perdy much the norm in today's world.
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Greebe
            This caused much problems as it greatly exceeded what was concidered a normal users bandwidth.
            Oh damn.... i should watch out.... they might be knocking at the door if i continue my download/upload madness like this. Today i've downloaded about 4.5gig and upped about 1.... they're probably begining to check my ISP.

Originally posted by Greebe
            Perdy much the norm in today's world.
            Perdy? never heard of it..... the only ISP i know is bell (DSL) and videotron (CABLE).... they both s*** for differents resons... bell restrain less tho, but their DSL transfer rate isn't that great.

Originally posted by Rags
            Stick behind a firewall/router and you will be golden.
            Would that hide my proxy ('cuz i do provide the net for my brother and mother....), ftp and ....?

Spazm

Comment

You've never heard of Purdy before? Here in Wichita RoadRunner/Cox lets us have up to 3 computers on a cable modem. And thankfully they've left the downstream cap at 10 megabits/sec too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                You've never heard of Purdy before? Here in Wichita RoadRunner/Cox lets us have up to 3 computers on a cable modem. And thankfully they've left the downstream cap at 10 megabits/sec too.
                Nay, never heard of it... I did heard of roadrunner, but they don't offer cable here... only modem and that's if they still offer it. I have 3mbits/sec in downstream.... that's great, but they locked the upload lots too low for me..... 80kbits upstream.

Ok, just checked roadrunner.... they're not the one i thought. They don't offer it in my country, but the price is the same. 30$/month, only the per pc change they charge 10$ per aditionnal pc while my ISP charge 20$. They allow to run a lot more things on the connection also.

Spazm
                Last edited by spazm_1999; 9 July 2001, 22:32.

Comment

Perdy=Pretty
                  [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
                  Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
                  Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
                  Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
                  Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Yep, most ISPs won't really bother you if your PCs are behind a router or ICS. Hell, they can't even know unless they go over to your place to see.

Comment

Wow, I guess we're lucky here, our upstream is at 750 kbit/s.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon P. Inghram
                        Wow, I guess we're lucky here, our upstream is at 750 kbit/s.
                        Lucky? about what?

Originally posted by Liquid Snake
                        Yep, most ISPs won't really bother you if your PCs are behind a router or ICS. Hell, they can't even know unless they go over to your place to see.
                        They reserve themselves the right to verify the connection at any time. Anyway i'll check for a firewall and see what i'll put.

thanks all for the info.

Spazm

Comment

I mean we're lucky that RoadRunner here in town hasn't crippled our transfer speeds like your ISP has. The biggest problem I've seen with the new broadband ISP's is there often is very little competition in any given area, which causes quality of service to decline. And as far as pricing goes, we pay ~ $58 a month for our cable modem, that's the price without cable TV and a rented modem. If we also got TV and/or bought our own modem the price would drop quite a bit.

Comment

There are lots of hardware/software NAT solutions that will render your ISP's pinging useless. They won't be able to tell if your machine is turned on or connected. Since few (no?) ISP's provide LAN support as long as you are using only one IP, its none of their business how many of your own comps you hook up to it. I have used Sygate with their Secure Desktop software and am now using a Netgear router. Both work equally well but the router places no load on my main machine.
                            Last edited by Laurie; 10 July 2001, 15:17.
                            Laurie
                            ======

Comment

ok, thanks for the info.

Jon p. 58$/month don't u think that it's a little expensive for a connection?

Spazm

Comment

Working...
                              X