X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which OS are you using and why?

Just curious

Im using Win2k pro and why is that it never never crashes
    Celeron II 566 @ 952 at 1.8v, Abit BE6 rev 1.01, 192 megs PC133, 20 gig WD UMDA-66, 6X Toshiba DVD-rom, Matrox G450 DDR 32 meg AGP, SBlive Value, HP 7200i CD-RW, etc etc on Win2k

Win 98se, It's fast, doesn't mind o/c'ing and 99.9% of software runs fine on it
    jim
    System 1:
    AMD 1.4 AYJHA-Y factory unlocked @ 1656 with Thermalright SK6 and 7k Delta fan
    Epox 8K7A
    2x256mb Micron pc-2100 DDR
    an AGP port all warmed up and ready to be stuffed full of Parhelia II+
    SBLIVE 5.1
    Maxtor 40g 7,200 @ ATA-100
    IBM 40GB 7,200 @ ATA-100
    Pinnacle DV Plus firewire
    3Com Hardware Modem
    Teac 20/10/40 burner
    Antec 350w power supply in a Colorcase 303usb Stainless

New system: Under development

Comment

Red Hat Linux 7.1.

Because I like penguins and it makes me feel like a true geek.

Casey

Comment

Win98SE

Stability and Games

Dave
        Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Comment

WIn2k. Because I´m a slow learner and I needed time to practice for WinXP

Comment

which PC?

where do I start?
            98 on Cyrix 200MMX with VXPro chipset (kids games)

98SE on main PC p-3 550 on SOYO 6BA+ mainboard (games/photo scanning/editing/color printing)

Win2KPro on main PC p-3 550 on SOYO 6BA+ mainboard (extreme gaming on 512 MB ram =)

Windows NT 4.0 on Alpha 233 box (playtoy and web page editing)

Netware 5.0 on PPro 180 (to practice/learn/fiddle with)(this week hopefully)
            Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

Win98 SE

Its what My Wife knows how to use and it supports all my hardware with no problems.

But I have played with

Netware 3-4-5
              Debian/Slackware/Redhat/Mandrake
              WinNT 4.0/ Windows 2000 Professional
              Dos 5-6.22
              Windows 3.1/3.11/3.11 for workgroups
              Solaris (Can't Remeber the version)
              Mac OS 7/8/9

Fun Fun Fun.
              oh and I can't forget my favorite

Vax/VMS

Yeah Baby.

Don't ask me any questions about anything other than Windows 95-98(SE) .. its been a little while.
              AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
              AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
              Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
              Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Why do you use...

Win2K?

Is it cause 98 doesn't have enough digits that 2000 does in respect to how many times in the last year you've changed and or reinstalled OS's?

Just a pickin (and a grinnin!)
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

hehe actually it was 2001 times Greebe LOL
                  Celeron II 566 @ 952 at 1.8v, Abit BE6 rev 1.01, 192 megs PC133, 20 gig WD UMDA-66, 6X Toshiba DVD-rom, Matrox G450 DDR 32 meg AGP, SBlive Value, HP 7200i CD-RW, etc etc on Win2k

Comment

Well we are upto SP2 now! LOL
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

win98se - because I cannot get win2k drivers for my scanner
                      debian - just4fun

mfg
                      wulfman
                      "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                      "Lobsters?"
                      "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                      "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

W2K

Windows 2000 Professional:
                        Sounds better, looks better, is faster and more stable than every Windows OS...even the HD makes less noise. Great OS, I´ll never install W98 again.

Comment

Games computer w98se (Need less ram then w2k)!
                          Server w2k advance server! (Stable + I don't like Linux!)
                          Work w98se/w2k pro/ w2k as!
                          Last edited by Guru; 10 July 2001, 04:26.
                          According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Win2k Pro on my PC at home and work - purely because it is extremely stable and fast (once given enough RAM). Also got win2k pro on my dad's machine for the stability.

My brother's machine runs winme as he plays games.

My server runs NT4 Server because its RAID controller isn't supported by Win2k.

My 2nd PC runs winme just so that I have another OS apart from Win2k to play with (esp for beta'ing the matrox drivers and also so that the RR-G TV tuner works properly )

Oops - forgot:

Notebook runs win2k nicely for performance and stability.

Servers at work run win2k server on new machines and NT4 Server on older machines. Because I hate all incarnations of Unix/Linux and want it to be wiped off the planet!

Comment

Main PC - Win2k/98 (Would switch to Win2k totaly if I could get drivers for my 2 printers )

Test PC 1 - Win2k AS/NT 4.0 Server/Win98

Test PC 2 - Netware 4.2/Netware 5.1

Laptop - Win2k/98
                              When you own your own business you only have to work half a day. You can do anything you want with the other twelve hours.

Comment

Working...
                              X