Best FANTASY Books Ever Written

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best FANTASY Books Ever Written

Since we already had a sci-fi thread, I figured I'd start a fantasy thread. Y'all can post whatever you like, but I'll give a big ol' post to get us started. See the end for authors I _won't_ include, and the reasons why.

----------------

J. R. R. Tolkien:

This is an absolute must. If, however, you are in for quick resolutions and/or have the reading comprehension of a 10-year-old (sadly the case in most of the world today), this is not for you. Be prepared to devote the better part of a month to this.

The Hobbit
    The Lord of the Rings
    The Silmarillion

The rest of it is very dry, catch-up work by his son Christopher. The Hobbit is easiest of course, being that it was written with a small child in mind.

At any rate, READ THESE BOOKS NOW, since if you don't finish them by Christmas, the movie will ruin them for you forever.

Ursula Le Guin:

In the world of fantasy, few have managed to come up with a truly unique world that doesn't borrow anything from older writers (such as Tolkien). Le Guin belongs in that group of "older writers", seeing as her primary work was published 30+ years ago.

A Wizard of Earthsea
    The Tombs of Atuan
    The Farthest Shore
    Tehanu
    Tales of Earthsea

And as she recently revealed, she's not done yet. This series is one of my favorites, as the idea of a school of wizardry (Harry Potter notwithstanding) is a great one.

Terry Brooks:

Brooks' work ranges from the utterly fanciful (Magic Kingdom: For Sale... SOLD!) to the serious (the Shannara series). The bad part is that the Shannara series is quite derivative of Tolkien. The good part is that it is (and this is hard to pick up the first time through) post-apocalyptic and quite well written. The first three Shannara books are stories in and of themselves (in addition to being a trilogy), and the remainder are a series.

David Eddings:

Eddings might piss you off. If you like your stories to be UTTERLY serious then don't even get started here. While the tales are epic in scope (they ARE saving the universe after all), spanning thousands of years and encompassing many memorable characters, Eddings is mostly known for how REAL his characters seem - mainly because they are all given real personalities through the use of dialogue. Fully 75% of Eddings' stories are dialogue, which is really how life works if you think about it. Eddings is my personal favorite author. Start with The Belgariad and work your way forward. The Mallorean continues the story. The Elenium and The Tamuli are a totally different series with... essentially the same characters. Eddings DOES have a formula, one reason he pisses some readers off. However, the formula works very well. If you don't mind giggling out loud in addition to being riveted to the story of how the wizards and warriors are saving the universe...

Lloyd Alexander:

Yes, I know they're kids' books. But The Prydain Chronicles are an important piece of literature. They're better now than they were when I read them as a child.

C. S. Lewis:

Narnia kicks ass... despite being a thinly disguised religious parable. If you intend to read this, get the series... then calmly take the books out of order, since some complete moron decided a few years back that they should be read in chronological order, which is quite absurd. The correct order is:

The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
    Prince Caspian
    Voyage of the Dawn Treader
    The Silver Chair
    The Horse and his Boy
    The Magician's Nephew
    The Last Battle

So read them in that order, please.

Stephen King:

I know, his work is sophomoric, right? Not the fantasy. Eyes of the Dragon, as well as The Dark Tower Series, are quite fine as fantasy goes.

Piers Anthony:

Don't bother with Xanth past the first few books. But his "Incarnations of Immortality" series is excellent.

Orson Scott Card:

"The Chronicles of Alvin Maker" are fantastic. But as I've said about Card before, he meanders after the first few books. He's 5 books in and has no idea where to go from there... but it's a great read anyway.

Also, I just finished "Enchantment", which is INCREDIBLE. A single book (so he can't mess it up by dragging it out). Great story. Jews and Russian Fairly Tales.

-----------

Authors I can't stand (and the reasons why):

Terry Goodkind:

Julie tried to get me to read this crap. The first page was filled with 64 dollar words. There is no need to describe anything, no matter how noisy, as an "obseqious miasma of cacophony". Bleh! No thank you. Maybe I'm missing out on a great story... but too bad.

Bobbo A. Salvatore:

Bobbo is a huge mook. Everything he writes came straight out of some repressed 15-year-old's Dungeons and Dragons campaign manual. I actually read the Cleric Quintet, and was so disgusted by the end that I had to force feed myself several volumes of The History of Middle Earth AND Unfinished Tales just to get the bad taste out of my mouth. I swear, if I read one more book where EVERYONE is "the best XXX" or "the most talented YYY" I'm gonna friggin' scream.

Robert Jordan:

"Hey!" I hear you say... "Jordan kicks ass!"

Well you know what? I hate it when people write a story that is so damn long that they might die before it's done. And since the only NON "Wheel of Time" work that I have to base my opinion of Jordan on is one of the "Conan" rewrites...

I'll be honest. I haven't even started the Wheel of Time. And I won't until he is almost done.

---------------

Authors that are supposedly cool but I haven't read yet:

George R. R. Martin:

I wouldn't know. Julie keeps bugging me to read this. It's on my list.

Raymond Feist:

That damn game (Betrayal at Krondor) pissed me off so much (and this was 10 years ago!) that I haven't read any of the books. Call me foolish.

Melanie Rawn:

Is she still alive? Three great books and then... silence. As with Jordan, not sure if she'll ever finish the series.

---------

Ok that's it for now. I'm sure I've forgotten some. I'll get back to y'all later.

- Gurm
    The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

I'm the least you could do
    If only life were as easy as you
    I'm the least you could do, oh yeah
    I would still get screwed

Toliens middle earth books

Robert Jordans first 3 wheel of time books

All Terry Pratchett Discworld Books (The first 3 arent that good)

E.R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros

Comment

I read the LoTR series and liked it.

My first Fantasy series was the Shannara series and loved it. Later books (Scions, etc) seemed to be just cashing in.

Nothing captured me like the Eye of the World (Jordan). However, by the 5th book, it was clear he was riding a cash-cow. Fewer things happened, characters would completly disappear for books at a time. For the length of time it takes for a new book to show up, they should be MUCH better.

I read Eddings until the Elenium - I couldn't get thru the series for some reason.

The Feist books were good. Never played the game, but you should read the books. The interesting thing is how he deals with both sides of the Rift (Riftwar saga). Very interesting.

I'm wondering if King will ever finish the Dark Tower series - I don't like waiting 2+ years for the next book.

I also like The Mists of Avalon (haven't read the prequel yet). I'm a nut for anything Arthurian, so I picked it up before I knew anything about it.
      PIII 550@605
      IWill Motherboard VD133
      VIA Chipset
      512MB PC133 CAS2 Crucial
      G400 DH 32MB (6.51 Drivers)
      DirectX 8.0a
      SB Live! Value
      8x DVD (Toshiba)
      6x4x24 CDRW (Sony)
      Intel Pro/100+ NIC
      3Com CMX Cable Modem
      Optiquest V95 19"
      HP 812C Color Ink Jet
      Microtek flatbed scanner
      Intellimouse Explorer
      Surround Sound w/two subwoofers
      AND WAY TOO MANY GAMES!!!

Comment

Does Edgar Rice Burroughs count? (no, not the tarzan books, the other ones)
        if so http://www.literature.org/authors/burroughs-edgar-rice/
        The Mars and Venus books were fun.

Also try "Inferno" by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle
        (I don't know if this counts either)

chuck
        Last edited by cjolley; 9 July 2001, 09:24.
        Chuck
        秋音的爸爸

Comment

I like the Feist game (although i admit it was the first real game i ever played, so maybe it has some nostalgic value), and the first series of book is really good, the first three books are best though

Comment

Re: Best FANTASY Books Ever Written

Originally posted by Gurm
            J. R. R. Tolkien:
            I forgot to add:
            "Bored of the Rings" by the budding Harvard Lampoon.

The better you know the ring trilogy the funnier this book is.
            chuck
            Chuck
            秋音的爸爸

Comment

I can't believe you don't like R.A. Salvatore!

He's about the only fiction author that I read, other than Tolkien and the Dragonlance series.

amish
              Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Tolkiens Lord of the rings, great

Also liked Stephen Donaldson's Chronicles ofThomas Covenant (Great!)

Tom

Comment

Why don't I like Bobbo "The Mook" Salvatore? (Pronounced Sal-Vah-Toe-Ray, with a deep brooklyn mook accent...)

Here's why:

1. I can't stand reading about Dungeons and Dragons. For this reason the Dragonlance novels also turned me right off. Part of this is the inescapable feeling that MY D&D campaigns with my friends when we were 10 were better orchestrated. Another part of it is the thought that it's extremely stupid to write a series of books set in such a hideously poorly structured universe. Now... if the books were set in the AD&D v3 universe using the D20 system, perhaps... NO! NO! BAD GURM!

2. Bobbo can't write his way out of a paper sack. You can disagree with me if you like, but I'm not saying this based on his style, I'm saying this based on his usage of the English language. In the same vein, despite their tremendous popularity, Steven King's horror novels aren't "well written". They're trash.

3. Bobbo can't make realistic characters, and can't just let them f***ing _DIE_ already. Every single character is either completely good or completely evil. And they're all the absolute best at what they do. The BEST cleric. The BEST monk. The BEST dwarven fighters. Just once I want to see him write about a kinda crappy thief, who fumbles a bit too often and has to drag himself out of one scrape after another because he isn't very good at what he does. But noooooooooo.

4. Did I mention that books based on games are silly? This is not to say you can't enjoy them, but they're not GOOD fantasy. In the same way, the "Wolves on the Border" series of Battletech books was exceptionally well written and fun to read... but it's based on Battletech... so it is automatically demoted to just so-so.

- Gurm
                  The Internet - where men are men, women are men, and teenage girls are FBI agents!

Comment

I just _KNEW_ I had forgotten someone. Yes, Donaldson is quite good. The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, as well as his other fantasy work (Mordant's Need, Daughter of Regals, etc.) were great to read.

He also crosslinks to the sci-fi thread, since his Gap series is pretty cool too.

- Gurm

Comment

My kinda thread.. I will get back to you in a few hours on my home system.
                      AMD Phenom 9650, 8GB, 4x1TB, 2x22 DVD-RW, 2x9600GT, 23.6' ASUS, Vista Ultimate
                      AMD X2 7750, 4GB, 1x1TB 2x500, 1x22 DVD-RW, 1x8500GT, 22" Acer, OS X 10.5.8
                      Acer 6930G, T6400, 4GB, 500GB, 16", Vista Premium
                      Lenovo Ideapad S10e, 2GB, 500GB, 10", OS X 10.5.8

Comment

Nice! I agree wholeheartedly with your good list, Gurm. I'm so-so on your list of bad books (not to mention that I haven't read some of their work yet, and I like to judge for myself).

Currently I'm working through a Lynn Flewelling novel, Stalking Darkness. Supposedly book two of the Nightrunner series, though it seems to carry itself without my having read the first. (I hate reading novels out of order, but my wife knows how much I like to read, and brings whatever she sees home sometimes)

If any of you have seen me online in UT, and you've read the David Eddings' books, you probably are among the few that know where the nick I use there came from (Azash). The funny part is that I didn't when I first started using it. I had read the book quite a while before I started using the nick, and the name just came to me, and sounded really cool at the time. (Not that the name of a Dark God is anything bad for a game like UT or anything, hehe).

Maybe I read TOO much..

..nah!
                        "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
                        Gainward Ti4600
                        AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

The George R R Martin books are the best fantasy I've ever read, I can't wait for the next one to get out
                          "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Have you tried Salvatore's Demon Wars series???

amish
                            Despite my nickname causing confusion, I have no religious affiliations.

Comment

Nope, haven't read the Demon Wars series yet.

But that question is kind of like asking "Have you read Diane Steele's new 'Infidelities' series yet? Much better than her other work..."

---------

As for the others... I may read George R.R. Martin if and when he gets closer to the end of the series.

And I too am impatiently waiting for the next Dark Tower book, supposedly King is working on it now.

- Gurm

P.S. (this is for cbman)

"Where's Brill?"

"Trying to fly."

"How is he doing?"

"Does bouncing count?"

"No, not really."

"Ah, poorly then."

Comment

Working...
                              X