MPEG1 playback problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MPEG1 playback problems

Hi, I am having problems with MPEG1 streams produced from a marvel captured file. Playback at a desktop resolution of 1152x864 or higher displays severe edge jaggies to the image (when playback at normla 100% size). If i run the MPEG at 200% or full screen, all is fine.

Playing the same file at 100% at a lower resolution is also fine.

MPEGs produced from non marvel captures seems fine at any resolution.

Any ideas???
    I have been producing 352x288 MPEG1 (using Xing) from an original 704x576 MJPEG avi.

Thanks!

Steve

apologies for posting twice - I had a small submit button problem :-)

Comment

wdwmgaic

Are you de-interlacing before/as you encode to MPEG1? You will need to in order to play it back on your PC - otherwise you see the motion-induced 'jaggies' as you describe.
      Phil
      AMD XP 1600+ ,MSI K7TPro2-RU, 512Mb, 20Gb System, 40Gb RAID0 , HP 9110 CD-RW, Pioneer DVD/CD, Windows 2000 Pro SP2, ATI RADEON 7000, Agere OHCI 1394, DX8.1, MSP 6.5, Midiman USB AudioSport Quattro (4 channel 24bit/96Khz sound unit)

Comment

thanks for the suggestion. I have tried deinterlacing - it has no effect. The problem goes away though if I drop the desktop resolution below 1152x864.

Comment

Are you saving your project as field-based or frame-based? Frame-based looks best on a computer monitor, field-based will look best on a regular television.

I'm curious about your non-Marvel captures - what hardware did you use?

- Aryko

Comment

It is for playback on PC screen - frame based.

The nonmarvel capture was a Quadrant Buster card. The marvel captures are far superior.

Just to clarify...
            1. Jaggies occur when playing back a 352x288 MPEG (100% playback size) on a desktop resolution of 1152x864.
            2. Problem goes away if:
            - I change the desktop resolution to anything below 1152x864

or

- Enlarge the playback size of the MPEG to 200% or more.

I have just tried compressing an MJPEG to ASF and the same thing happens as described above with the MPEG. Looks like it could be a driver issue with playback?? rather than a problem with the capture?

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Working...
            X