• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Video tools = sound problems in windows

after installing video tools the following happens:
    -i cannot hear audio from any video except mjpeg
    -i can hear the audio if i play the video in video tools
    -uninstalling matrox video tools allows me to hear audio from any video from any program

i am aware that this is an existing bug for some ensoniq cards. however, i have done it with an old ess, a turtle beach montego, and an ensoniq; the same problem occurs, bummer.

i thought it might be a problem with codecs which are installed during the video tools setup, but i tried removing those codecs without uninstalling video tools and had zero success.

i am stumped over this problem and am not sure where to start to fix it. i had browsed around on these matrox forums for a while and found only one post similar, which was posted back in march, and had no responses from anyone.

i am going to try and uninstall video tools, the sound card (tbs), the video drivers for my matrox g400tv. after that i will install my video drivers, the video tools, and then the sound card. i doubt this will work but i can't think of much more to try.

so, i was just wondering if you (any one) had any suggestions of why this could be happening, or anything that i could try (even if it is a 1% probability that it will work) because i am totally out, like, totally dude... heh. oh, and could anyone else with a g400tv try this out too to see if the have the same problem? i had lived with this ever since the g400tv came out and i wasnt aware of it until recently because i used matrox video tools to view all my video (and no i am not going to just deal with that, in my opinion, video tools sucks )

i am not listing my hardware in this message, because i have tried this in two completely different computers with different hardware, and all other hardware on each computer was fine (ie no conflicts and such). if requested i will post the info though.

i'll leave u all alone now; thanks for your time.

imwur

solution

hmm, i guess no one knows the answer to this problem?

well, i found one solution, in case anyone is having the same problems.

since i hate matrox video tools, and it doesnt do much more for me than any other program can do, i uninstalled it. then, i rearranged my rca cables and such so that the tv controls which channel is currently being viewed. then i put an output from my tv(it can be done with any other rca in/out device of course) to the input to my matrox. so, the tv changes the channels, and if i want, i can still view/record anything on my computer by using some third party like power vcr, winvcr, dvr, avi_io, etc... by setting my source to the video composite.

now, i can play videos and music on my computer and hear sound using any application! much relief for me.

the best solution is probably just to figure out what exactly is causing no sound from other applications when video tools is installed, such as the video/audio/capture codecs. however, i dont have time to mess around with that stuff.

-imwur

Comment

I've had this since I got my Marvel G400 when it first came out and it sucks bigtime. I solved it on one machine my installing Win2k instead of 98 but that would have been extreme if I was installing 2k solely to fix the Sound.

The simplest workaround I've found under 98 is to bypass the BOB for the audio out and feed it straight into my VCR using a 3.5mm jack to 2xphono cable. Not elegant but it works.

I can't see why Matrox cannot extract the BOB initialization code from video tools and either stick it in the graphics drivers or give us a standalone console application that could be run from autoexec.bat.

Comment

I haven't managed to isolate what causes audio-out to act so temperamental - I've had Marvels without a problem under W95, W95 OSR2 and W98SE with both Celeron's and AMD Tbirds, Yamaha XG192 and SB PCI128 soundcards (amongst others). Then one day it happened and it was all over as far as that configuration was concerned. I had to wire the audio leads around the BOB (I used barrel connectors to link the audio-in and out cables to my SCART socket).

I'll be reinstalling a G400 Marvel in this PC in the next few days and I expect it'll work perfectly again.

Comment

same with me: audio with divx in pcvcr but no audio with mediaplayer......................(w2k)

Comment

Working...
          X