Quantum HD noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quantum HD noise

A few months ago, I was addressing this forum asking for advice about my Maxtor HDD (c.f. http://forums.murc.ws/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9385). At the time, my secondary Maxtor HDD was having spin problems. Maxtor tech support RMAed it and it has worked since replaced.

Four weeks ago, my floppy drive bunt out. No biggie, right? Two weeks ago, my Quantum Atlas II drive started making a loud noise during startup. Two days after that the drive refused to spin up. I took it to the local OEM that I bought the system from because it was still under warantee (3 yr parts&labor). I told them the story. I told them to check the power supply. They returened it to me saying that all that they needed to do was replace the HDD, which they did with an Atlas V (yipee!). Now, when ever I turn on the system, the HDD makes a loud noise when spinning up. Is this normal for this HDD? I don't want to damage any of my components. I am considering upgrading to a new system soon (next 6-9 months), so I don't want to sink too much time and money into this thing. Still, I'd like to use a few of the components I already have.

Any suggestions?

System Specs:

Asus P2B-LS, Pentium II 400Mhz, 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum Atlas V 9Gb SCSI HDD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HDD (52049U4), Soundblaster 128, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k SP2
    Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Ummm...what kind of noises?

Comment

If I can have a guess based on the sounds from those quantums I have had:

It sounds a lot like a handfull of ball bearings in a blender on high!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

It sounds like a loud grinding noise, like a moter that is struggling to spin. I have heard that some SCSI drives are loud during spin-up. I was wondering how loud is expected.
        Asus P2B-LS, Celeron Tualatin 1.3Ghz (PowerLeap adapter), 256Mb PC100 CAS 2, Matrox Millenium G400 DualHead AGP, RainbowRunner G-series, Creative PC-DVD Dxr2, HP CD-RW 9200i, Quantum V 9Gb SCSI HD, Maxtor 20Gb Ultra-66 HD (52049U4), Soundblaster Audigy, ViewSonic PS790 19", Win2k (SP2)

Comment

Any noise that is irritating to you is probably a bad one. Sounds like you might get ready for another RMA.

Comment

I had a loud rasping noise from my fujitsu 13.5 gb drive - eventualy I tracked the problem down to a bad (Asus supplied) 80 wire IDE cable - could be worth checking.

Regards,

JJ

Comment

Working...
            X