From anandtech: "Being prosecuted by State of Georgia for RC5!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From anandtech: "Being prosecuted by State of Georgia for RC5!"

I haven't read all yet, but it seems someone is being prosecuted $415.000 or 15 years in prison for running RC5 on school-system.
    Atleast it's a reminder it's a bad idea to install seti, genome, think or another distributed client without permission.

For the thread, goto
    Last edited by Rattledagger; 7 July 2001, 15:47.

Should have known better, the goof!

Rags

Comment

Originally posted by Rags
      Should have known better, the goof!

Rags
      Rags did you read the thing????
      According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

I think it's probably a scam.

Comment

I did a little digging and it's not a scam, that's Georgia!
          "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

Gotta agree with Rags. The punishment may be extreme but-
            They weren't his computers so maybe he shouldn't have been
            F------ with 'em. And I did read the whole thing -BTW
            Pete

Comment

ok, I read the whole thing too

15 years? 450 000$???

come on, what do you get for murder in this state?

mfg
              wulfman
              "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
              "Lobsters?"
              "Really? I didn't know they did that."
              "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I don't think it's a scam

But I already posted in the Soap Box. Find my stuff there.
                Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Hi guys ,long time no see .
                  When did the new forum happen?

Re: DMCowen.

Assuming he didn't have permission (its not confirmed yet) ,& whether you believe he should be punished further or not (he's already lost his job),I'm sure that most of you would agree that the intended punishment is far too severe for what is a relatively harmless crime (in other words no one was hurt etc).

If you would like to show your support against this outrageous punishement then please sign this online petition

The thread about the petition in the DC Anandtech forum is here http://forums.anandtech.com/messagev...hreadid=498323

We would really appriecate your support .

Don't forget this case could have ramifications for ALL who run a DC client .
                  Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                  2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

I would assume that this only can have implications for those who runs DC on machines that aren't their own, without written permission ?
                    "That's right fool! Now I'm a flying talking donkey!"

P4 2.66, 512 mb PC2700, ATI Radeon 9000, Seagate Barracude IV 80 gb, Acer Al 732 17" TFT

Comment

Chaas
                      The way the law has been applied it could apply to virtually any use & any program that ius installed on a work PC without direct permission.
                      Its all in the main thread .
                      Anyway ,don't you think that sentence is a little harsh?!

Maggi
                      Thanks loads
                      Team AnandTech - SETI@H, Muon1 DPAD, F@H, MW@H, Asteroids@H, LHC@H, Skynet POGS.

Main rig - Q9550 @3.6 GHz, HD 5850 (Cat 13.1), 4GB DDR2, Win 7 64bit, BOINC 7.2.42
                      2nd rig - E5200 @3.73 GHz, GTX 260 c216, 4GB DDR2, Win XP, BOINC 7.2.42

Comment

Add #1046 for me
                        "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

According to the latest official figures, 43% of all statistics are totally worthless...

Comment

Just a little translating for all our non-U.S. citizens.
                            The sentence is maximum possible, I'm sure.
                            To translate into American justice system terms it really means he'll plea bargain and probably receive a monetary fine in the thousands of dollars (not $415,000) and will only receive a prison
                            term if he cannot pay the fine and the term will probably wind up being less than a year with early release possible for good behavior. It's pretty sad because I've heard of murderers in the US getiing less than the proposed punishment for this guy. I guess it goes to show that the dollar and power has come to mean more to us in the land of the "free" than Human life and Freedom (do any of us remember what freedoms supposed to mean to an American?). Anyhow- I signed the petition, but I would really like to see one for harsher punishment for murder and crimes against humanity.
                            Pete
                            Last edited by rocketmanx; 19 July 2001, 11:57.

Comment

Working...
                            X