Best SciFi Books Ever Written

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best SciFi Books Ever Written

Now, were talking SciFi, not Science Fantasy like LOTR and such. A buddy and me got into a discussion, and in the end we agreed on two of the three here...

If you like Science Fiction (and I have read hundreds of SciFi books), you HAVE to check out these three..

Battlefield Earth- L. Ron Hubbard (yes, the movie sucked big-time, but the book is a work of SciFi art)

Time Enough for Love- Robert A. Heinlein R.A. Heinlein is the original 'dirty-old-man' SciFi writer. Approach his stuff with an open mind. This is his best work...sprawling, involving, intellegent, and heartbreaking at times.

Startide Rising- David Brin Imagine a future where humans have 'enhanced' dolphins with DNA fiddling and made them as intelligent as us. The story of the first interstellar craft piloted by dolphins. This is book two of the uplift series, but I recommend reading it first...I WANT A COMPUTER RENDERED MOVIE OF THIS ONE!!!! IT WOULD MAKE MILLIONS!!!

You might laugh, but I still like the older Perry Rhodan books - even if they're maybe too "mainstream" for some and too military for others...
    But we named the *dog* Indiana...
    My System
    2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
    German ATI-forum

Comment

How about Orson Scott Card? Ender's Game (and Shadow) are fantastic.

The Dune series?

Asimov.

Arthur C. Clarke?
      Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

Have Ender's Game on order right now...too many people bitching at me 'cause I haven't read it

First two Dune books kicked ass. Then somehow the whole thing got tedious. Still, the series belongs on my top ten.

Asimov was a bloody genius. However, his stories were pretty much Rated-G, and seemed to be aimed after some common denominator of SciFi reader, trying to please everyone while offending no one. Not really a slam agenst the Man, but he just shot for a broad audience.

F. Herbert and I. Asimov both would be included my my list of top 10 authors, but as far as individual works, the three mentioned above impressed me like few others.

Tell ya what, I'll read Ender's Game if you read Startide Rising

Indiana- My buddy has three or four Rhodan books that he has trying to get me to read for ages. Might have to do it...
        Last edited by EchoWars; 8 July 2001, 01:15.

Comment

Douglas Adams Hitchhiker series
          Neuromancer
          Strata (Terry Pratchett)

Comment

Tad Williams - Otherland
            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
            "Lobsters?"
            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

I have to agree with ‘Time enough for love’ and ‘hitch hikers’
              Time enough for love: The only true sin lies in hurting other people, hurting yourself is not a sin, merely stupid

If we were talking fantasy I Have a long, long list

Dan
              Juu nin to iro

English doesn't borrow from other languages. It follows them down dark alleys, knocks them over, and goes through their pockets for loose grammar.

Comment

My favorite for a while....

Sentenced to Prism by Alan Dean Foster.....nice storyline, not overly technical, and with today's technologies an easy film to produce......

-Dil
                Better to let one think you are a fool, than speak and prove it

Comment

If Asimov is shooting for a too large audience for you, Perry Rhodan definitely will be much too mainstream for you, too.
                  Besides this is in no way literary very sophisticated, they're merely entertaining. So it doesn't really fit under the title "Best books ever written" - what can you expect from a weekly issued series?).
                  And they somehow lost the thread later on after most of the original writers (Clark Darlton, KH Scheer, ...) had left the team.
                  But we named the *dog* Indiana...
                  My System
                  2nd System (not for Windows lovers )
                  German ATI-forum

Comment

Yep, Dune kind of faded as the series went on, but I remember liking God Emperor, the 4th book. But the HG2G series faded too, I thought the last 3 books of the series were pretty bad, and barely recognizable as Adams's work.
                    Gigabyte P35-DS3L with a Q6600, 2GB Kingston HyperX (after *3* bad pairs of Crucial Ballistix 1066), Galaxy 8800GT 512MB, SB X-Fi, some drives, and a Dell 2005fpw. Running WinXP.

Comment

My first SF novel was "Raiders from the Rings" by Alan E. Nourse.
                      I read it in 5th grade (1962)
                      We have literaly thousands of SF books in our house.
                      You might as well ask a parent to pick among his children.

But,
                      Asimov is GOD. (try the original Foundation Trilogy)
                      First two Enders- Good
                      First two Dunes- Good (the others were embarasing)
                      Etc.

How about Larry Niven, Ray Bradbury?

For something a little different:
                      1, The Riverworld books by Philip Jose Farmer starting with "To Our Scattered Bodies Go".
                      2, "Star Smashers of the Galaxy Rangers" by Harry Harrison

For the 2nd Ammendment folks there are the "Weapon Shop" stories by A. E. Van Vogt. (You know who you are )

chuck

PS 10 points if you get the connection between "Star Smashers.." and MURC

Last edited by cjolley; 8 July 2001, 14:00.
                      Chuck
                      秋音的爸爸

Comment

The best Heinlein (for me) is Stranger in a Strange Land.
                        Other favourites of mine include the Brian Aldiss... Heliconia trilogy (Winter, Spring and Summer).

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TomNuttall
                          The best Heinlein (for me) is Stranger in a Strange Land....
                          Read it again after 20 years. It doesn't hold up very well.
                          "Starship Troopers" held up even less well.
                          I sure loved those books when I was a kid though.
                          chuck
                          Chuck
                          秋音的爸爸

Comment

Philip K. Dick?

mfg
                            wulfman
                            "Perhaps they communicate by changing colour? Like those sea creatures .."
                            "Lobsters?"
                            "Really? I didn't know they did that."
                            "Oh yes, red means help!"

Comment

Guess I started this thread to get some ideas of
                              What To Read While I Look For A Job
                              Keep 'em coming...

Comment

Working...
                              X