Asus CUSL2-C mobo any good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Asus CUSL2-C mobo any good?

After some disappointing tests with a Gigabyte VIA board, I am contemplating buying this aforementioned board to use with a Celeron 800.
    It has an Intel 815 chipset, but unfortunately no ISA slots. Which means I'll have to use a PCI sound card (oh dread!!!) or the on-board audio.
    Can anybody recommend this setup for a Marvel G-200, or am I shooting myself in the foot? I am going to capture hi-res YUY2 with it.
    Resistance is futile - Microborg will assimilate you.

Well...

I don't like ASUS but the I815 Chipset works great.
    And the lack of ISA slots is curable with Dr.Mordrids favurite pci soundcard.

The Celleron on the other hand is a cheap looser.

I got a Real P3 800Mhz on a MSI I815 board and while it can capture fullrez Pal in huffyuy it's to slow to use for editing those streams....
    If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I think Technoid is in the minority about ASUS. Every maker has had loser motherboards because Intel, Via, Ali etc. all have put out some seriously buggy chipsets. IMHO, ASUS has a good track record (much better than most) of timely BIOS updates to fix what can be fixed without replaceing the chipset.

I've been sticking with BX chipsets for NLE as long as I can still get them. Have you looked at the CuBX-E? I set one up and it still can be found with one, two, or no ISA slots depending on the revision. I've been happy with it, although the onboard promise ATA100 controller seems incompatible with my fasttrack66 in W2K I deep sixed the FT66 and put the four drives on the ATA100 with an NTFS stripe set seems to be working great so far.

--wally.

Comment

Odd. I have a FT100 running ATA66's that works fine under Win2K, both SP1 and SP2. Have to think about that one a while....

Otherwise I totally agree about BX boards. As stated in another thread I think the P3B-F in particular should be put into perpetual production until a worthy sucessor arrives.

None in sight yet.....

Dr. Mordrid
        Dr. Mordrid
        ----------------------------
        An elephant is a mouse built to government specifications.

I carry a gun because I can't throw a rock 1,250 fps

Comment

Well, I dont like them because all boards with their name on them that I have encountered has been a pain in the ass!
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

I have a BX board also (gigabyte BXE) but I must get rid of it, it doesn't provide the right voltage (or microcode patch) for any of the newer ISSE cpu's.

Comment

@technoid: I disagree about the celeron: Video capturing doesn't much improve with a larger CPU cache.

Comment

Hi FD,
                Just last weekend i installed an Asus CUSL2-C with a 1GHz PIII for a friend and from the tests that i've performed i can say that is rock stable. The assembled machine consists of
                Asus CUSL-2C mobo (with INF patch for the chipset and intel's busmaster drivers; both are included on the CD from Asus)
                1GHz PIII
                256 Mb RAM PC-133
                IBM 30Gb and Quantum 20Gb
                Philips 3610 CDRW and Creative DVD
                Creative G-Force 256 DDR (VGA) (detonator 3 latest driver from nvidia)
                Creative DXR-3 (DVD decoder)
                Creative SB-Live 1024 (Dos emulation disabled and lava software NOT installed)
                Miro DC-10+ (with latest drivers 1.06) with no sound problems bearing in mind though that the DC-10+ performs only MJPEG captures
                Primax USB7600 (USB scanner)
                IOmega Zip drive
                Good luck though I believe that you will be fine.
                mits,
                System specs: primary : Asus P5B Dlx/Wifi, C2Duo E6600 with thermalright 120 and 120mm Scythe S-Flex
                model E, 2 Gb Ram Kingston HyperX PC6400, MSI RX1950Pro with ViVo, 2 * WD3200AAKS, Sound Blaster Audigy ES, NIC onborad, IEE1394 TI onboard, dvd-rw Nec/Sony Optiarc AD-7173A, dvd-rom Pioneer 106-s, Win XP SP2. Secondary : Asus P4B266-E, P4 2GHz (Northwood), ram 512 MB DDR400 , 2*80 Maxtor, vga asus 9600XT with vivo, sound card c-media 8738 onboard, NIC D-Link 538TX, dvd-rw sony dru500AX, cd-rw yamaha 2100E, Win2k SP4.

Comment

Doc, my problem seemed to stem from the Fasttrak66 controller and the Promise ATA100 controller built into the CuBX-E motherboard.

The Fasttrack66 worked if the MB Promise controller was disabled. Enabling the MB promise controller stopped the fast track controller from working. I got the latest driver from ASUS and updated the BIOS and Drivers for the Fasttrack to no avail.

I didn't waste more time than that on it I moved the four drives form the Fasttrack66 to the on-board Promise ATA100 and setup an NTFS stripe set. This freed a slot, something I haven't has for a while, so now I can look for a new toy to plug into it :-)

--wally.

Comment

Working...
                  X