AAaargghh!! Magnets!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AAaargghh!! Magnets!

I cam to use my notebook today after it's not been used for a month or so (Sony Vaio PCG F305), and it wouldn't boot. FDISK told me there was nothing on the HDD, and it took 3 FDISKs to create a new partition, then after a format, win2k installed and it's now fine.

Thinking about why this happened, I realised that for most of the past month it's been sitting near my dad camcorder (last time I used it, it was to capture video via firewire) on top of one of his HiFi speakers... Now, the speaker's not very powerful (ancient - like 25 years old - 100Watt music power), but the magnetic field, over the last 4 weeks wiped the hard drive!

Anyway, it's fine now, but Tip Of The Day: Don't put a laptop near a speaker!

like you, wouldn't have thought that the magnetic field would have been powerful enough to wipe your hdd but we live & learn!

Comment

I learn't that valuable lesson about 7 years ago when I figured the desk charger for my new high tech 1kg mobile phone looked great sat onto of my tower.. Luckly it only took a couple of minutes to format a 80mb hard drive..
      Ath SOC1 1.2gz,G200(dam), Asus a7V133, sonic fury, Maxtor+ 40 30GB, 384Mb(133), win2ksp2 <-&->Vaio Z600 P3 700, 192mb, Ati rage, 15gb

Comment

Learnt a long time ago that HDs and magnets don't mix
        Last edited by DentyCracker; 7 July 2001, 06:24.
        [size=1]D3/\/7YCR4CK3R
        Ryzen: Asrock B450M Pro4, Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB G-Skill Ripjaws V Series DDR4 PC4-25600 RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA HD, 256GB myDigital PCIEx4 M.2 SSD, Samsung LI24T350FHNXZA 24" HDMI LED monitor, Klipsch Promedia 4.2 400, Win11
        Home: M1 Mac Mini 8GB 256GB
        Surgery: HP Stream 200-010 Mini Desktop,Intel Celeron 2957U Processor, 6 GB RAM, ADATA 128 GB SSD, Win 10 home ver 22H2
        Frontdesk: Beelink T4 8GB

Comment

Oh Shit!

I have a 70watt Speaker about 26 inches from my tower....

But It hasn't affected my computer....
          If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Originally posted by Technoid
            Oh Shit!

I have a 70watt Speaker about 26 inches from my tower....

But It hasn't affected my computer....
            Don't you mean not yet!

Comment

I like the story I was told about a busness man who put his laptop in the boot and then turned his radio on which just happened to have an electric ariel and err nice radio prigram shame about the hard disk.
              Chief Lemon Buyer no more Linux sucks but not as much
              Weather nut and sad git.

My Weather Page

Comment

I dont think it will!

Usualy those speakers that has a magnetic field strong enough to affect my hdd's that actualy (when measuring from their actual place in the case and not the top of the case) is 50 inches! from the speaker should make my Screen go haywire!
                If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

Wise people buy shielded speakers.
                  Someday, we'll look back on this, laugh nervously and change the subject.

Comment

Shielded speakers...

are nothing more than normal speakers with a bucking magnet and a steel stamped can mounted to the backside on the existing magnet (motor) which draws the field back onto itself. This limits the off axis (to the sides and behind) field from causing problems like mentioned above.

This can be added to any speaker driver, if you can find the parts or are handy enough you can add/make yourself.

The magnetic field still extends forward of the speaker (on axis) and in some cases greatly so. As long as your aware of this and take proper precautions, you're safe.
                    Last edited by Greebe; 8 July 2001, 10:33.
                    "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

most cheap shielded speakers have those krappy covers.

But some very good ones have well engineered magnet field setups that keep the magnetic fields circulating, which gives them very good shielding and increases the effectiveness of the magnets.

and you do get the opccasional speakers with lead lining!!!, but I think this more for weight and deadening

Comment

Working...
                      X