CUv266 and matrox G400 32 DH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CUv266 and matrox G400 32 DH

I am trying out out the VIA 266 pro chipset.
    Just curious the spinning cube test on this board doesn't spin as fast as when I did it on a CUSL2 board I815, does this mean anything?
    I am using all in one via drivers 4.32

Thanks

I'm just wondering why the h#ll you upgraded??? (maybe you're planning to get a Tualatin???)

Trade away a almost perfectly ingineered intel chipset to a low grade VIA dito with a lot of compability issues. And on top of that you won't gain anything in performance. (I own VIA myself, but there wasn't really an option because DDR and AMD760 boards did cost a hell of lot more two months ago than they do today)

I can only understand why you did it if you're planning to get a Tualatin, the pro266 supports it I guess.

Well I guess maybe I'm in some kind of bad mood today, so don't take anything personal.

Comment

I'm trying out the chipset for the most part to see if it performs and is as stable as I815, so far I have no stability problems, SBlive works perfects, games run.

I think VIA may be our only solution when it comes to P4 and DDR, so if they can make a good chipset for P3 then they will for P4.

Intel continues to off crap products like 845 with sdram with P4 what a joke. Well if the product sucks bad enough and the company won't give what the people want then i'll go with someone else that will. simple as that.

Intel makes good CPU but they are a joke with chipsets.

Comment

Originally posted by Galvin
        I'm trying out the chipset for the most part to see if it performs and is as stable as I815, so far I have no stability problems, SBlive works perfects, games run.

I think VIA may be our only solution when it comes to P4 and DDR, so if they can make a good chipset for P3 then they will for P4.

Intel continues to off crap products like 845 with sdram with P4 what a joke. Well if the product sucks bad enough and the company won't give what the people want then i'll go with someone else that will. simple as that.

Intel makes good CPU but they are a joke with chipsets.
        You are off your rocker. There is not a better chipset mfr out there right now than intel.

Rags

Comment

Ok then you can go waste your cash and by an I845 mainboard with P4 and sdram. Have fun

Intel and RDram is making me sick.

Also don't forget the 815 is a crippled chipset, Remember the max of 512megs of ram and a max of 64 megs of apperiature size ring a bell.

Comment

Originally posted by Galvin
            Ok then you can go waste your cash and by[sic] an I845 mainboard with P4 and sdram. Have fun

Intel and RDram is making me sick.
            You see you are confusing your hatred for Rambus with the overall quality of their chipsets. An i845 is not in my sights, it doesn't fit my needs. And the i845 isn't the only chipset they make

Also don't forget the 815 is a crippled chipset, Remember the max of 512megs of ram and a max of 64 megs of apperiature size ring a bell.
            Yeah, I hate that they crippled the 815, but if I am going to need more than 512MB of memory, and I don't need more than 64MB aperture, but if I did they make chipsets that fit my needs. It's too bad that AMD and Intel are on different platforms, but hey I guess both are doing their own thing.

Rags
            Last edited by Rags; 6 July 2001, 20:38.

Comment

I guess you had bad experiences with VIA, I figured I buy one and see for my self so far no problems. SBlive works perfect remember SBlive and VIA I keep hearing about how bad they suck together, well that's not the case since mine is working just fine.

I just want a real chipset that's not crippled.
              I want the P4 when they shrink it down to .13microns. But Intel won't offer it with ddr, so we'll have to look to VIA or another 3rd party.

I didn't expect to get flamed for asking a simple question. If this board shows more problems over the next week i'll just sell it but if it doesn't then it's just as good as 815.

This doesn't include the problems I was getting with 815 like g400.dll crashing which has been happening on a weekly bases mostly with netscape

And my 815 board is not sold yet, it's in the back room in the box idling

Comment

What you say?!

Galvin, it's not so much that Rags has had problems with VIA chipsets, but rather we all have had one run in or another with VIA chipsets!

If you look around and or do a search on this or anyother forum on the planet you find the same truth. Not all people have difficulties tho, but this is limited to a small few, whom don't have anything other than a paltry little experience and or extremely limited exposure of hardware out there.

Intel chipsets=maximum compatability, good speed
                AMD chipsets=extremely good compatability, good speed
                VIA chipsets=minimal compatability, speed depends on specific chipset, mostly lower.
                PC Chips chipsets=fair compatability, speed... are you kidding?!

These ratings are not neccessarily from "todays" latest greatest, but from years of experience with using them
                "Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss

"Always do good. It will gratify some and astonish the rest." ~Mark Twain

Comment

I was merly trying out the chipset.
                  But I did find out weird thing, this chipset seems to be altering the screensize of different videomodes. But to be sure i'll switch back to 815 and see if the problem is still there. If so i'll stick with 815. But stability hasn't been an issue so far.

Comment

Warning VIA onboard......

Intel has not licensed VIA to make chipsets for Intel Processors. And you wonder why you see so many problems with this combination......

Here is Intel's official response to this topic......

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200...html?tag=cd_mh

Paul
                    "Never interfere with the enemy when he is in the process of destroying himself"

Comment

I switched back and I noticed load time just slightly faster, barely noticable though.

Anyways things are fine now. But was interesting trying out via's latest chipset.

I sitll think 815 sux because intel didn't make it as good as the BX chipset. But if someone makes osmething better i'll snatch it up try it out and keep it if it proves to be worthy

Comment

Galvin

Well, your statement "I still think 815 sux because intel didn't make it as good as the BX chipset" puzzles me.

I must be using dud hardware and software that does not take advantage of the missing "as good as " features of the BX chipset. You care to explain what you mean and the exact areas where you have had problems?

I have not been able to assemble a single system based on the 815 that did not run reliably from go with any current sw or hw.

Apart from the 512m ram and 64m agp aperture that are non-issues IMHO, whats-up?

Maybe I should start thinking of overclocking?
                        Lawrence

Comment

I just got sick of intel not making an chipset just as good or better than the BX.

I mean what's this 512meg limit with ram prices cheap as they are is easy to get now.

64mb apeture size limit. Even the upcoming 815chipsets for the taulatin have this same limitation.

The asus cuv266 was running slower that was one thing I noticed my win2K took longer to boot. not sure about graphics problems, later I played around with the latest graphics drivers on my 815 board and got the same problems as I did on the 266, so I switched back to the latest certified drivers for the g400.

Intel marketing pisses me off, no other company bugs me as much as they do. But like microsoft if you leave them you're pretty much SOL.

I have my eye on the P4 .13 micron when that comes out i'll check reviews.

I like to stay on new technology, I am not one of those people that use the same hardware for year after year, only exception is the G400

If the P4 .13 micron blows away the fastest P3 i'll get it, I love lots and lots of speed, speed is good

Comment

Galvin

"I just got sick of intel not making an chipset just as good or better than the BX"

Afraid I cant agree with you on that one.

If the BX was so darn good why not just stick with that?

512M ram - I have it! - but I am damned if I can actually see the rumoured difference on the machine with current sw/hw when I compare it to 256M for example. I suspect that my aperture size would also only become a real limitation if my consumption of Jack Daniels doubles.

I suppose it depends on your personal definition of "as good as" and "better", but I suspect that you dont have a specific problem with the chipset but are merely repeating the rantings of other people always wanting the latest and greatest without actually bying it.

If it is speed you want, then the 815 is not it. If it is flashy you want, then the 815 is also not it. If it is the latest technology you want then the 815 is not it (even though it was pretty close at the time of release a few short months ago). If you are an overclocker I suspect the 815 is also not what you want.

If it is a platform with good reliability, way above avarage performance, good compatibility and the ability to run within spec out of the box with no tweaking required THEN get yourself a 815 - the BX based boards are now getting very hard to source.

I am not defending either Intel or the 815 chipset here, but hindsight always gives you 20/20 vision and a statement like yours has no place in an industry that is moving at the huge rate of knots it is currently doing.

I am willing to bet that due to the relatively slow progress of the pc industry/technology at the time of release, the BX chipset durability will never be equaled by any chipset you care to mention.

Just like you, I am on a daily basis trying out new mobos with the view of finding a reliable and more economical replacement/alternative to the Intel 815EEAAL mobos I currently use - no luck so far, but perhaps you can do better. Please let us know if you do.
                            Lawrence

Comment

I can't agree with you there, LvR.

If it is speed you want, the i815 is the fastest for the p3 (except maybe the BX). If it is OC'ing you want, there is nothing but the i815 to consider as 90% of the boards are stable at 166MHz.

There are a few limitations but overall the chipset is the second best intel has made, in my point of view. The i850 may be a very good chipset, but RDRAM is to expensive to justify any thought of buying it, you are much better of with an Athlon and a AMD760 board

Comment

Working...
                              X