Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

...and what do you all think of radio-link broadband?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ...and what do you all think of radio-link broadband?

The only awailable broadband in my area, at the prezent, and the near future is not ADSL (as I hoped untill now), not opto, not cable TV, but wireless-RADIO link at 0.5 to 2.0 Mbps and 400-800 m from the base station. Thay say: duplex. I suppose downlink/uplink= the same.

So, what do you all think about it?

Fred H
    It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
    ------------------------------------------------

Sounds like it could work, as long as you don't get much interference from other radio signals in the area. Hopefully the latency is decent, too, but I guess that depends on the ISP's connection to a backbone, etc..

At any rate, it should be better than dial-up. What's the cost-per-month estimated at? (USD, if possible)
    "..so much for subtlety.."

System specs:
    Gainward Ti4600
    AMD Athlon XP2100+ (o.c. to 1845MHz)

Comment

I have personaly set up such a link system.

0.5 to 2 mbits is great compared to some wire conected broadbands that has a max of 0.5!
      If there's artificial intelligence, there's bound to be some artificial stupidity.

Jeremy Clarkson "806 brake horsepower..and that on that limp wrist faerie liquid the Americans call petrol, if you run it on the more explosive jungle juice we have in Europe you'd be getting 850 brake horsepower..."

Comment

@Ace: the cost here in Sweden, translated to USD is aprox. 27$ 24 month contract + 185$ hardware. It is duplex and min 0.5 max 2.0Mbps depending of load.

@Technoid: it is the swedish (?) Powernet, the only way for me here, but we most have at least 30 applications to get a repeter here. The swedish telecom=Telia has no plans for ADSL in my area, shit, must I say, but hope the radio link will be better. I am also radio amateur (SM6JNA) so I beleve in wireless

Fred H
        It ain't over 'til the fat lady sings...
        ------------------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
        X